MegaDrum Manager

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

MegaDrum Manager

Postby dmitri » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 am

MegaDrum Manage has been released. You can get it at http://www.megadrum.info/content/megadrum-manager

Warning to Mac OS X users: you may need to install "Mandolane MIDI SPI" from http://mandolane.co.uk/ (for Mac OS X Snow Leopard or older) or mmj from http://www.humatic.de/htools/mmj.htm (for Mac OS X Lion) for MDM to work properly.
See http://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtop ... 047#p18047 for details

If you want to run MDM offline only, just download the jar executable - http://www.megadrum.info/mdm/MegaDrumManager.signed.jar . When running the jar executable it won't detect if there is a newer version available.

Please, post questions/suggestions/bug reports in this topic.

The latest MegaDrumManager source code is now at GitHub.
You can clone it from https://github.com/kajuk/MegaDrumManager.git

It requires additional libraries:
Apache Commons Collections
Apache Commons Configuration
Apache Commons Logging Component
JGoodies Forms
dmitri
Site Admin

Re: MegaDrum Manager

Postby Poldi-1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Great stuff!
Don't wanna be a wise-ass, but on the MDM site you claim that it has functions except Positional Sensing.
MDM is also missing all the "SetAll..." functions. :)
Poldi-1

Postby dmitri » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:20 am

Poldi-1 wrote:Great stuff!
Don't wanna be a wise-ass, but on the MDM site you claim that it has functions except Positional Sensing.
MDM is also missing all the "SetAll..." functions. :)

You configure one pad as you need and then:
1. copy it's settings to all other pads or even individual pads.
2. copy an individual settings to all other pads.

Isn't it what "SetAll..." functions do?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Poldi-1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Well yeah it is, just a different approach :) Sry :)
Still it would miss the SetAllEdgeSw and SetAllBellSw, or am I wrong?
Poldi-1

Postby dmitri » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Poldi-1 wrote:Still it would miss the SetAllEdgeSw and SetAllBellSw, or am I wrong?

It is not possible at the moment - no Sysex support for this. The procedure must be done through the MegaDrum menu.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dschrammie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:33 am

Hmmm...for the first time since starting to use the newest version of MDM. Very suddenly it just stopped communicating properly. I did not have autolevels on, but suddenly while I was doing some hhat pedal set up, my pedal values changed, and CC was suddenly on 9. Could not close MDM either. Had to use Task Manager to force the shut down. Opened it up againand it wouldn't react to any click commands...couldn't open any drop down menus, it wouldn't retrieve any data from the MD, etc. Task manager force shut down again. Opened again, and could get into Options to tell it to use USB Audio Device for MIDI In/Out, but it still wouldn't load from MD. Force shut down again. I guess I can restart the computer and see if it's some little hiccup...just surprised because it had been quite stable prior to this.
dschrammie

Postby dschrammie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 am

Just restarted the computer...no luck. MDM allows me to select USB Audio Device as MIDI In/Out, and when I click "Get All" it goes through it's progress screen, but still doesn't recognize the firmware, or load any of the MD settings. It is closing without being forced.
dschrammie

Postby dmitri » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 pm

So MDM doesn't talk to your MegaDrum any more? Can you configure it to use virtual MIDI ports (MIDI Yoke) and route it to MegaDrum through MIDI-OX?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dschrammie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:36 pm

dmitri wrote:...Can you configure it to use virtual MIDI ports (MIDI Yoke) and route it to MegaDrum through MIDI-OX?

Don't know, I've never used vitual MIDI ports nor MIDI-OX before so I don't really know anything about them or how to use them.

One other thing occurred afterward. I shut down MDM and started up Superior to see if my prior issue with Alt note was corrected. In the Superior "construct" screen it shows a graphic of a drum set and as you strike a pad the corresponding set piece will light up on the screen. In the past it has always responded as quickly as I strike. If I play eighth notes constantly on a ride, then the graphic of the ride cymbal in Superior will light up with every strike. However, this time I struck the ride cymbal and it lit up, but it stayed lit up. It would not recognize constant strikes. It would take about 5 seconds before I could strike it again. This occurred on every set piece. This has definitely never happened before the little hiccup with MDM not communicating properly. I didn't make any changes to buffer settings or anything like that in my sound card or in Superior. I used the same set up that I've always used in Superior. Is it possible that somehow the MDM communication problem could have changed settings in the MD that would cause this kind of behavior?
dschrammie

Postby derbstens » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi everybody,

I was asked to report my issues with updating MegaDrum Firmware 20110207 via MDM on a Mac.

Computer used for this was a Macbook Pro 5.1 Mac OS 10.6.6 usb direct with no hub.

What I did was the following:

Power on MegaDrum
Open MDM
Open midi connection via upper left button
current firmware is shown: 20101223
Select the MegaDrum firmware file. (megadrum644_20_56_20110207)
Disconnect (power off) MegaDrum.
While holding MegaDrum's button LEFT connect (power on) MegaDrum to access update page.
By pressing MegaDrum's button UP select a correct MegaDrum crystal frequency. (20 MHz I assume, due to it being a Dmitri 56 Kit)
Press MegaDrum's button DOWN. MegaDrum LCD shows:
'StartUpdateOnPC'
Click button Start in MGM
The status bar for firmware send stays at zero %.
3-5 seconds after pressing the down button on the MegaDrum Module it returning into running mode and shows vu display.
After a few more seconds, MGM reports:
'MegaDrum is not responding'
If 'Start' in MGM update dialogue is pressed before down switch at MegaDrum module, MDM reports:
'CRC error, File damaged?'
After re-downloading firmware and repeating the process in the correct order still no change.

Dmitri then suggested to try it via Windows.

So I went to Parallels and picked up megadrum forum via Safari,
clicked this download link http://www.megadrum.info/forums/download/file.php?id=2071 for MDFWUpdate,
installed, downloaded the MegaDrum firmware, went to Parallels, made sure the MegaDrum module is connected to the virtual machine and started the update procedure over.
Success!

I hope that helped,

Sebastian
derbstens

Next

Return to Related Software