Yamaha RHH-135 hi-hat settings

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Yamaha RHH-135 hi-hat settings

Postby dmitri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:21 am

Set HighLvl to 750. Now at what pedal position does the VU meter goes down when you slowly press the pedal?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby daniel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 am

With the rhh135 you can actually do 4 different positions (more positions are impossible to clearly define)

1. not touching the bottom plate

2. touching the bottom plate with very light pressure (just the weight of my foot/leg)

3. pressing down a little

4. pressing down hard

At the moment, the vu meter jumps from full to empty at position 4.
daniel

Postby dmitri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 am

Well, after looking more into it, and judging from viewtopic.php?p=12070#p12070 and http://www.arrangerworkstation.com/foru ... o=&fpart=1, it looks like Yamaha pedals use opposite polarity to what MegaDrum expects, i.e. Yamaha uses the ring for the signal and the tip for power.
In this case, if the pedal doesn't have a built-in polarity switch, you will need to make a "polarity converter" which connects:
1. the ring of the pedal to the tip of the pedal input on MegaDrum
2. the tip of the pedal to the ring of the pedal input on MegaDrum
(the sleeves in both are for ground so don't need switching).

After this you will need to configure it from the start again.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby daniel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:02 am

I understand what you mean but I know of someone (from a german forum post) who uses the rhh135 with megadrum. He wrote that everything works fine (also the intermediate positions). He didn't mention anything of a diy polarity converter. Unfortunately I've been unable to contact him but I am pretty sure there shouldn't be any problem of that kind ...
daniel

Postby dmitri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:06 am

As far as I can see, the person on this forum, jdigdug, used reversed polarity (viewtopic.php?p=12070#p12070). The person from the German forum, which you are referring, to might have built the module himself and swapped the tip and the ring in the module itself. You can also do this if you're not afraid of opening up the case and swapping the tip and the ring on the HiHat pedal jack.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby daniel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:08 am

EDIT: I'm sorry I posted right after you and couldn't read your post before ... so this doesn't make sense anymore ^^

EDIT1: I don't really understand much as far as electronic is concerned and I'd prefer not opening the megadrum ... Can you think of a possibility to switch polarity outside? Like for example by using two cables and putting something like this in the middle: http://www.thomann.de/de/neutrik_na_3_jj.htm these adapters are openable so maybe I could modify something in there ... does that make sense, do you have an idea?
Last edited by daniel on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
daniel

Postby dmitri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 am

daniel wrote:Can you tell me what kind of thing I would need to switch tip and ring of the ctrl jack?

One of these:
1. open up the case and swap the wires going to the ring and the tip of the HiHat pedal jack (you will loose compatibility with the pedals using the opposite polarity).
2. make a custom cable which swaps the ring and the tip from one end of the cable to another and then use it to connect the pedal and the module like this:The pedal out jack-> the custom cable->the pedal input on the module.
3. make a converter using two TRS jacks and use two standard cables to interconnect. The connection will be like this: the pedal out jack->straight cable->DIY TRS converter->straight cable->the pedal input on the module.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby daniel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:25 am

Again, I was too slow ... this time with editing my last post, adding a question to it
daniel

Postby daniel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:31 am

Ok, I understand number one but I'd rather try something else before opening the case. Number 2 seems to be the easiest but I am not sure if I understood exactly what you mean ... Do you mean taking a standard cable like this http://schmitronicshop.de/images/DSCI0836.JPG removing the isolation in the middle, cutting the red and the black wire and soldering each one to the other (red->black/black->red)?
daniel

Postby dmitri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 am

daniel wrote:Ok, I understand number one but I'd rather try something else before opening the case. Number 2 seems to be the easiest but I am not sure if I understood exactly what you mean ... Do you mean taking a standard cable like this http://schmitronicshop.de/images/DSCI0836.JPG removing the isolation in the middle, cutting the red and the black wire and soldering each one to the other (red->black/black->red)?

Exactly
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware