sensitivity issues with Roland PD120 for snare

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

sensitivity issues with Roland PD120 for snare

Postby bcmusic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi guys, my first post. I just received Dmitri's awesome creation today in the mail (built by him), so I am trying to configure it with Superior 2.0.

I read that the PD120s run hot... but I don't want to build a reisistor (I have no idea how to do that anyway)...

I set my Megadrum to All Gain LOW (Dmitri wrote that it lowers the overall gain to less than zero which is great)... and I still get a velocity of 127 even if I don't hit the snare pad very hard.

How do I need to set my PD120 in Megadrum so it's more realistic/responsive and have light hits be LIGHT and heavy hits reach maximum velocity?

Also, the rim is triggering when I hit the head... what do I need to set to make this not happen? Xtalk?

I am new to Megadrum, and although I love this... if I can't get the PD120 to respond the way I need it to, then I will be forced to sell my Megadrum, which I don't want to do.

Thanks for ANY help!!!

-Chris
bcmusic

Re: sensitivity issues with Roland PD120 for snare

Postby kwas » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Best way to "cool down" the pad is a resistor or a pot. If you are using this pad in a nother stup with some other module then the pot is a way to go since it can change the resistance and you can adjust it according to module you are using. If you decide to do that I'm shure there are guys more expirienced in electronic, willing to help you out.
kwas

Postby bcmusic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:37 pm

I normally use a Roland TD8 as my module.... but I was wanting to use the Megadrum instead because of the 3-zone triggering capabilities... and the extra inputs! :)

How does a pot work? Do I need to build it inside the snare pad or does it go between the 1/4" cable and the PD120?

Bummer that this pad runs so hot.... it works perfectly with the TD8.... flawless, in fact! I thought it would work even better with the Megadrum!
bcmusic

Postby davem » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:44 pm

bcmusic wrote:How does a pot work? Do I need to build it inside the snare pad or does it go between the 1/4" cable and the PD120?

As far as I know, you can do either. I've built voltage dividers onto all of my drums so I can control HighLevel and they work fantastically well. I'm actually in a similar position myself. I have a CY-5 which has similar issues. My plan is to build a tiny box sitting in-between the MD and CY-8 so I don't have to do anything destructive to the cymbal.
davem

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:48 pm

viewtopic.php?p=11751#p11751
You must cool the pad down, especially so for dual zone pads. It doesn't have to be trimpot, you can use two resistors as a voltage divider.
viewtopic.php?p=11857#p11857
search.php?keywords=voltage+divider&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:54 pm

bcmusic wrote:Bummer that this pad runs so hot.... it works perfectly with the TD8.... flawless, in fact! I thought it would work even better with the Megadrum!

I'd be surprised if a Roland pad wouldn't work flawlessly with a Roland module. You can achieve the same with MegaDrum but it will require some tweaking and time. I cannot suggest values for settings and for a voltage divider's resistors since I don't have Roland pads. My Pintech mesh snare (made on Roland's license) is fortunately is not too hot.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby bcmusic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Thank you Dmitri.... no matter what I try, it's still too hot... AND, I tried a ddrum Pro snare trigger (external) on my mesh head snare drum and I'm getting the same problem. I changed the trigger type to Switch because that's what the external triggers are... and it's still too sensitive, and the rim hits always trigger the head hit, too... how do I eliminate that?

Thanks!
bcmusic

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:09 pm

bcmusic wrote:Thank you Dmitri.... no matter what I try, it's still too hot...

What exactly did you try?

AND, I tried a ddrum Pro snare trigger (external) on my mesh head snare drum and I'm getting the same problem. I changed the trigger type to Switch because that's what the external triggers are... and it's still too sensitive, and the rim hits always trigger the head hit, too... how do I eliminate that?

There is no magic here. If the signal from the pad is too high for MegaDrum (pad is too "hot") there is now way to make it cooler with MegaDrum settings. You must cool it down with a voltage divider.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby bcmusic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:14 pm

How do I use a voltage divider or trimpot without modifying my snare pad? Can a separate unit be made? Can I simply buy one to go in between the 1/4" cable connected to my PD120 (or my external trigger) and the megadrum?

I should have done more research on Megadrum before I bought one from you. I didn't know these Roland pads ran so hot... it's quite inconvenient with my setup (I have CY5 / FD7 for hihat, CY8 for crash cymbals)... I haven't even messed with those settings yet...

I love your creation, Dmitri, but if every single one of my triggers needs a voltage divider or trimpot, it almost defeats the purpose of the Megadrum's low cost...
bcmusic

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:23 pm

bcmusic wrote:How do I use a voltage divider or trimpot without modifying my snare pad? Can a separate unit be made? Can I simply buy one to go in between the 1/4" cable connected to my PD120 (or my external trigger) and the megadrum?

It can be made separate in a box, it can even be squeezed into a cable jack. After all a voltage divider is just two small cheap resistors or a cheap trimpot.

I should have done more research on Megadrum before I bought one from you. I didn't know these Roland pads ran so hot... it's quite inconvenient with my setup (I have CY5 / FD7 for hihat, CY8 for crash cymbals)... I haven't even messed with those settings yet...

I love your creation, Dmitri, but if every single one of my triggers needs a voltage divider or trimpot, it almost defeats the purpose of the Megadrum's low cost...

I hope you're not thinking that resistors or trimpots are made of gold. Here in the UK you can buy trimpots under 10 pence and resistors under 1 pence.
dmitri
Site Admin

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware