>>> KIT AVAILABLE <<< All In One v3.1 PCB 56i Kit for sale !

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: >>> KIT AVAILABLE <<< All In One v3.1 PCB 56i Kit for sale !

Postby Effraktor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:38 pm

Synthex wrote:
Effraktor wrote:I'm probably going to buy one the kits soon but i was just wondering. Dmitri has said it's possible to power the megadrum by passing power through the midi. But since i'm going to be using a long cable he said to use a higher voltage and use a regulator.

So my questions are, how do i wire the midi connections if i'm going to send the power through the midi cable, and does the regulator in this kit already do the job i need it to or do i need to wire a second one?

Yes, it's possible to power the megadrum by passing power through the midi cable.

Midi_cnx.gif

Pin 1 and pin 3 are "generally" not used in standard MIDI protocol, but be careful.

You can use pin 1 for positive and pin 3 for negative power line.
You can use the regulator in this kit.
The power supply module must be between 7 and 12 volts.

Great sounds easy enough, so i just wire the corresponding connections to a HDR-KK-1X2 and plug it into the "power supply" pins on the board And keep the regulator where it normaly is?
Effraktor

Postby Synthex » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Effraktor wrote:Great sounds easy enough, so i just wire the corresponding connections to a HDR-KK-1X2 and plug it into the "power supply" pins on the board And keep the regulator where it normaly is?

Yes on the Megadrum board.

The other side of the MIDI cable, you need a power supply connector.
Synthex

Postby Effraktor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Synthex wrote:
Effraktor wrote:Great sounds easy enough, so i just wire the corresponding connections to a HDR-KK-1X2 and plug it into the "power supply" pins on the board And keep the regulator where it normaly is?

Yes on the Megadrum board.

The other side of the MIDI cable, you need a power supply connector.

Yeah, i'm going to make a merge brick like the one that comes with the zendrum.

One other question though, if i want to be able to choose from having the power through the midi for when i'm playing live etc, or through usb when i just have it hooked up to my computer can i put a slide switch connected to the "power selection" to be able to switch between power sources? Or is there a simpler way like wiring the usb power connections to the power supply pins rather than the usb ones? or some way of wiring the power selection jumpers?
Effraktor

Postby Synthex » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Effraktor wrote:can i put a slide switch connected to the "power selection" to be able to switch between power sources?

Yes, the "power selection" connector is for this.
Synthex

Postby Effraktor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:34 pm

Synthex wrote:
Effraktor wrote:I'm probably going to buy one the kits soon but i was just wondering. Dmitri has said it's possible to power the megadrum by passing power through the midi. But since i'm going to be using a long cable he said to use a higher voltage and use a regulator.

So my questions are, how do i wire the midi connections if i'm going to send the power through the midi cable, and does the regulator in this kit already do the job i need it to or do i need to wire a second one?

Yes, it's possible to power the megadrum by passing power through the midi cable.

Midi_cnx.gif

Pin 1 and pin 3 are "generally" not used in standard MIDI protocol, but be careful.

You can use pin 1 for positive and pin 3 for negative power line.
You can use the regulator in this kit.
The power supply module must be between 7 and 12 volts.

Started building my power brick.

Tried it with a 9v adapter that produces 500mA and it powers an led from the midi connection on the brick, but from the end of the 10m cable it doesn't work. So the cable is too long. Do i need an adapter that produces higher voltage (12v) or higher amps, or both?

Edit -nevermind, turns out my "5-pin" midi cable has 3 wires. *shakes head*. Just tested on two of the other pins and it powers the led fine over the 10m cable
Effraktor

Postby Synthex » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:53 am

Effraktor wrote:Tried it with a 9v adapter that produces 500mA and it powers an led from the midi connection on the brick, but from the end of the 10m cable it doesn't work. So the cable is too long. Do i need an adapter that produces higher voltage (12v) or higher amps, or both?

No, 9v adapter that produces 500mA is enough.

Effraktor wrote:Edit -nevermind, turns out my "5-pin" midi cable has 3 wires. *shakes head*. Just tested on two of the other pins and it powers the led fine over the 10m cable

Synthex

Postby Effraktor » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:19 am

Ok, I finished building the power brick. It looks very nice if i say so myself.

I did however notice that the power adapter plugs don't come with fuses? Does anyone know if they are made with self resetting surge protectors or anything like that? Just to be on the safe side I wired in a fuse anyway. I'm planning on building a second brick just incase one gets damaged (not the kind of thing i can go to the nearest B&Q and pick up if it does break).

I'm probably going to go the easier route of getting a power connector that fits the power adapter jack and then just housing the midi sockets in a box and reduce the risk of my dodgy electrical wiring blowing up expensive equipment. But as i mentioned before should i still install a fuse to be on the safe side, or should i maybe put a 500mA fuse at the point before the power reaches the megadrum?

Also, would these switches work ok for the keyboard? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-Momentary-Push ... 334a69e523
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Effraktor

Postby jburel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:53 am

Hi !
I would like to buy your kit via Paypal. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks a lot

J BUREL
jburel

Postby Synthex » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:47 pm

jburel wrote:I would like to buy your kit via Paypal. Please let me know how to proceed.

I just sent you a PM.
Synthex

Postby Albert2010 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:30 am

Hey, I'm looking into Purchasing one of your 56 input kits, but I have a few questions first.

(1) I live in the USA, is it possible to ship over here?

(2) I'm a drummer, but I'm also an avid marimbist. I was wondering, is there anyway with the config tool or some other way I can change the sound that is output. I'm thinking of building an electric marimba front end to your module. By the way, your module is amazing. If it can do this it will fulfill one of my dreams, to have an electric marimba without shelling out $4000.

(3) Given where I live (and if you can do it, stacked jacks on the 56 input) , what would the price be?

Thanks so much!!
Albert2010

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware