How does the hihat+foot controller work?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

How does the hihat+foot controller work?

Postby elrules » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:53 pm

I have recently been making some testing with sampler software Drumkit From Hell Superior (DFHS) triggered by my Roland td-6 module.

I have found that Roland hihats send two different MIDI notes depending on how you press the hihat controller. This is how Roland configure by default its roland td-6 hihats:

#From pedal fully opened (CC4 = 0) to pedal semi-opened (CC4 ~= 85)
- Hihat bow note = 46
- Hihat edge note = 26
#From pedal semi-opened (CC4 ~= 85) to pedal tight closed (CC4 = 127)
- Hihat bow note = 42
- Hihat edge note = 22
#Foot chick also has a different note
#What I don't know is if the roland module sends a note for the foot splash

So roland has 4 different values for the bow/edge hits.

As I have seen in Megadrum controller, you can enter 6 different values for the bow/edge hits (2 more than roland). So my question is, how do you set up where (int the CC4 values) the bow/edge opened notes change to bow/edge semiopened, and where they change to bow/edge closed notes? Is it automatically set up?

Which module have you used to "copy" that kind of hihat scheme?
elrules

Re: How does the hihat+foot controller work?

Postby dmitri » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:06 pm

elrules wrote:I have recently been making some testing with sampler software Drumkit From Hell Superior (DFHS) triggered by my Roland td-6 module.

I have found that Roland hihats send two different MIDI notes depending on how you press the hihat controller. This is how Roland configure by default its roland td-6 hihats:

#From pedal fully opened (CC4 = 0) to pedal semi-opened (CC4 ~= 85)
- Hihat bow note = 46
- Hihat edge note = 26
#From pedal semi-opened (CC4 ~= 85) to pedal tight closed (CC4 = 127)
- Hihat bow note = 42
- Hihat edge note = 22
#Foot chick also has a different note
#What I don't know is if the roland module sends a note for the foot splash

So roland has 4 different values for the bow/edge hits.

As I have seen in Megadrum controller, you can enter 6 different values for the bow/edge hits (2 more than roland).

2 notes for open, 2 - for half closed(semiopened), 2 - for closed

So my question is, how do you set up where (int the CC4 values) the bow/edge opened notes change to bow/edge semiopened, and where they change to bow/edge closed notes? Is it automatically set up?

Where notes change between open/half-closed/closed is hardcoded at the moment and spaced at approximately equal distances between pedal possitions . I may change it in the future to be variable.

Which module have you used to "copy" that kind of hihat scheme?

I haven't copied any scheme in particular, this behavior just comes from common sense.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:55 pm

How do you change notes depending on cC4 data?
open note between 0 and ??
half-note between ?? and ??
closed note between ?? and 127
could you fill the "??" gaps for me?

I want to give some info if someone wants to use megadrum with the best samplers (Battery 3, BFD and DFHS) this is what he should do to make them work properly.

DFHS:
set all midi notes from the hihat to trigger the same hatsTrig value in DFHS, or setting all megadrum bow/edge midi notes to the same note, cause DFHS controls itself the openness of the hihat only with the cc4 info, not the notes. Here nobody would have problems using megadrum

Battery 3:
the hihat configuration can be solved the same way as in DFHS. Assigning the same note for everything and changing triggering depending on cc4 ranges (this is not automatic like in DFHS, you have to do it manually)

BFD:
it has 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 different notes. I think this software is the one that fits better with megadrum type of hihat thing. You should set the 1/2 to the half-open note of the megadrum and no use 1/4 and 3/4, am i right?
elrules

Postby dmitri » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:15 am

elrules wrote:How do you change notes depending on cC4 data?
open note between 0 and ??
half-note between ?? and ??
closed note between ?? and 127
could you fill the "??" gaps for me?

open note between 0 and 8
half-note between 8 and 100
closed note between 100 and 127

I want to give some info if someone wants to use megadrum with the best samplers (Battery 3, BFD and DFHS) this is what he should do to make them work properly.

DFHS:
set all midi notes from the hihat to trigger the same hatsTrig value in DFHS, or setting all megadrum bow/edge midi notes to the same note, cause DFHS controls itself the openness of the hihat only with the cc4 info, not the notes. Here nobody would have problems using megadrum

Battery 3:
the hihat configuration can be solved the same way as in DFHS. Assigning the same note for everything and changing triggering depending on cc4 ranges (this is not automatic like in DFHS, you have to do it manually)

BFD:
it has 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 different notes. I think this software is the one that fits better with megadrum type of hihat thing. You should set the 1/2 to the half-open note of the megadrum and no use 1/4 and 3/4, am i right?

Not sure I fully understood the last bit about BFD. Can you elaborate?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:22 am

dmitri wrote:open note between 0 and 8
half-note between 8 and 100
closed note between 100 and 127
I think you should increase the first threshold ( 8 ) a bit :) maybe symmetrically (27)
The other threshold, 100, I think it is in a perfect place.

About samplers, I will post a detailed configuration guide tomorrow
elrules

Postby elrules » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 pm

How to configure hihat to work with:

DFHS:
You have here two options:
1 - set the same value for all bow/edge notes in megadrum and then, in DFHS, select hatsCtrl, press "L" (learn) button and step the hihat, and select hatsTrig, press "L" and hit the hihat.
2 - set different notes for each bow or edge hit and then, in DFHS, select hatsTrig and press "L", and learn each of the different notes the hihat has set.

Battery 3:
Again you have two options. But I will explain only one.
-First, set the same value for all bow/edge notes in megadrum.
-In battery 3, load several sounds for the hihat (closed, pedal chick, pedal splash, different levels of openness). Then, with Learn button learn pedal chick and pedal splash. Then, learn the other sounds for hihat hits (all will have the same note).
-For each sound (level of openness) select the "Setup" tab. You will see a Cell activation panel with options. Select condition 1 = Controller and set values StartCC=1 RangeMin=0 RangeMax=30 (for example, for full open), then select another sound (a little less opened) and set values StartCC=1 Min=31 Max=60, etc etc etc.
-FInally, to have the open sound muted when you close the hihat, you have to (in Setup tab) assign all the hihat sounds the same Choke group (for example 1). And the select closed, chick and splash sounds to be Voice group nº1 and opened sounds to be Voice group nº2. That way sounds in voice group 2 will be choked when you trigger any sound of the nº1 voice group.

BFD:
In BFD all the hihats are sampled with Open, 1/2open and closed sounds (tip and shank, that is, bow and edge). So you can set different note values in megadrum and set the corresponding values in BFD. The only thing you have to do is adjust the CC4 range of each level with a bar at the right of the note's textboxes.
elrules

Return to MegaDrum Hardware