Hihat - dynamic chick - firmware testing

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Hihat - dynamic chick - firmware testing

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:01 pm

rockdude wrote:I tried changing ChickDelay above 0, but now splash note triggered.

If you set CheckDelay to the maximum you still get chick when you quickly step on and release the pedal?
What notes did you assign to Chick and Splash?

It seems like I can trigger a chick sound around CC60 if moving the pedal fairly quick. When moving it very slow it doesn't trigger around CC60.
I'll try it more in depth and post some screenshots and settings when I have more time.
(I have softchick turned off btw)

With the "soft chick" disabled you should get chicks only if the pedal closed beyond ClosedLvl (i.e. CC is above the value set in ClosedLvl).
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby rockdude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:44 am

rockdude wrote:I tried changing ChickDelay above 0, but now splash note triggered.

Sorry for sneaking in the letter "w" in the above. I was supposed to write: "I tried changing ChickDelay above 0, but NO splash note triggered."
dmitri wrote:If you set CheckDelay to the maximum you still get chick when you quickly step on and release the pedal?
What notes did you assign to Chick and Splash?

I tried setting it to the max and I finally managed to trigger a splash note. I then discovered that I could trigger splash notes pretty consistent with ChckDelay:40 and up. I don't trigger any chick notes while doing splashes. I have to be really quick on the pedal and kind of rough though to trigger the splash note.

dmitri wrote:With the "soft chick" disabled you should get chicks only if the pedal closed beyond ClosedLvl (i.e. CC is above the value set in ClosedLvl).

I seem to be able to trigger chick notes around CC60 anyway if I move my pedal pretty quick.
Here's a few screenshots showing "normal" chick and the strange CC midway chicks:

Normal chicks:
ImageImage

Strange midway chicks:
ImageImage

Here's my MegaDrum settings for the pedal (Latest encrypted firmware:20100613):

Splash: D#4 63
Chick: D4 62
HHInput: 2
LngChckTh: 16
ShrtChkTh: 115
ClosedLvl: 100
OpenLvl: 8
HiLevel: 563
LowLevel: 358
EnSoftChick: No
CCValue: 4
Altin: No
ChckDelay: 0
Curve: Linear
Type: F.Contr

I'm using a DIY Hall effect hihat controller.
Last edited by rockdude on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockdude

Postby dmitri » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:00 am

Hm, I will try to reproduce this chick.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby rockdude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:06 pm

dmitri wrote:Hm, I will try to reproduce this chick.

Try pressing the pedal pretty fast and stop it somewhere around half of the full pedal range.
rockdude

Postby dmitri » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:37 pm

rockdude wrote:

Try pressing the pedal pretty fast and stop it somewhere around half of the full pedal range.

Check the latest version, enabling/disabling "soft chicks" should now work correctly. It was my mistake.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby rockdude » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:06 am

dmitri wrote:
rockdude wrote:

Check the latest version, enabling/disabling "soft chicks" should now work correctly. It was my mistake.

Thanks Dmitri! I can confirm that enabling and disabling "soft chicks" now works fine with the latest version of the firmware(20100618).
I'll tweak my setting a bit regarding the splash and test overall pedal performance further and get back to you if there's any problems or ideas.
rockdude

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware