History of MegaDrum firmware versions

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Latest MegaDrum firmware versions

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:01 pm

elrules wrote:dmitri, please, upload last firmwares to the auto-download site for MCT. I know firmware updating through MCT only works for old bootloaders, but at least for those users it would be nice to have the "check for updates" feature working ;)

True, but it will cause problems to all with "secure" bootloader by erasing an old firmware and not loading a new firmware.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby fuzzysnuggleduck » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:38 am

I searched and couldn't find a clear answer to this question, so I'll ask.

Do the newest firmwares still work with the old bootloader or do they require the secure bootloader?
fuzzysnuggleduck

Postby dmitri » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:07 am

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:I searched and couldn't find a clear answer to this question, so I'll ask.

Do the newest firmwares still work with the old bootloader or do they require the secure bootloader?

It doesn't matter. You can load any version of the MegaDrum firmware with any version of the bootloader.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:48 am

dmitri wrote:
elrules wrote:dmitri, please, upload last firmwares to the auto-download site for MCT. I know firmware updating through MCT only works for old bootloaders, but at least for those users it would be nice to have the "check for updates" feature working ;)

True, but it will cause problems to all with "secure" bootloader by erasing an old firmware and not loading a new firmware.
Dmitri, I have updated MCT so users with secure bootloaders have the Firmware Update option disabled with an explanation of why it is disabled.
That way problems will be avoided
elrules

Postby dmitri » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 am

elrules wrote:
dmitri wrote:

Dmitri, I have updated MCT so users with secure bootloaders have the Firmware Update option disabled with an explanation of why it is disabled.
That way problems will be avoided

I've uploaded the latest version. Hope, people with "secure" bootloaders won't be forgotten and left at the mercy of MIDI-OX for long.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Ken Forgettable » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:13 pm

dmitri wrote:Hope, people with "secure" bootloaders won't be forgotten and left at the mercy of MIDI-OX for long.

Did you ever post the source for the non-secure bootloader?

EDIT: Yes you did - I have it now!
Ken Forgettable

Postby dmitri » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Ken Forgettable wrote:
dmitri wrote:Hope, people with "secure" bootloaders won't be forgotten and left at the mercy of MIDI-OX for long.

Did you ever post the source for the non-secure bootloader?

EDIT: Yes you did - I have it now!

MegaDrum bootloader has nothing to do with it. When "secure" version of the bootloader is selected in MCT it fails to send a firmware Sysex to any MIDI port.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm

So have you checked if the secure bootloader has any code change that could be making the update through MCT fail?

The only thing different in MCT from one bootloader to another is that it sends the sysex to erase the firmware before sending the firmware. No other changes to the code
elrules

Postby dmitri » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:00 pm

elrules wrote:So have you checked if the secure bootloader has any code change that could be making the update through MCT fail?

The only thing different in MCT from one bootloader to another is that it sends the sysex to erase the firmware before sending the firmware. No other changes to the code

MegaDrum bootloader has nothing to do with it. When "secure" version of the bootloader is selected in MCT it fails to send a firmware Sysex to any MIDI port. Even to virtual MIDI ports.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Ken Forgettable » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:10 am

dmitri wrote:Note: PonyProg will fail to write firmware into Atmega324P or Atmega644. See Documentation page on how to program Atmega324P or Atmega644 using avrdude
I'm using PonyProg 2000 with Atmega324P and Atmega644P - sssOk!
Ken Forgettable

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware