History of MegaDrum firmware versions

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Latest MegaDrum32 firmware versions

Postby dmitri » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:19 pm

slayer666 wrote:I wanna have lowlevel on every channel as it is on the hihat pedal.
It would be useful on the snare to make the ghostnotes clearer. I remember this could be done in the old LM-4 MKII in cubase.

Can you elaborate on this? I didn't quite get it.

I'm almost where I want to be with my settings. I'll post something as soon as I have more time...
btw, what does the note off delay and latency do?

Note off delay is a number of millisecond between a "Note On" MIDI message on a hit and a following "Note Off" MIDI message.
Latency - a minimum period of time (1 equals 0.1ms in the setting) between scans. Ideally should be 0 but not achievable. The lower the latency setting is, the more likely signals will be measured with greater error margin.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby slayer666 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:46 am

dmitri wrote:
slayer666 wrote:I wanna have lowlevel on every channel as it is on the hihat pedal.
It would be useful on the snare to make the ghostnotes clearer. I remember this could be done in the old LM-4 MKII in cubase.

In order to get rid of some doubletriggering/crosstriggering I've set the gain to 0. The megadrum still detects those tiny hits, but they're really low in volume.
So to get more volume out of those low velocity hits it would a great feature if we can set the lowest velocity that should be played. Not to confuse with the threshold setting.
instead of having a velocity range from 0-127, we could set it to 30-127. Look at it like a top/bottom velocity compressor.

Note off delay is a number of millisecond between a "Note On" MIDI message on a hit and a following "Note Off" MIDI message.

Ok but what difference does it make with drums? I can see it being useful on a keyboard..
slayer666

Postby elrules » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:02 am

slayer666 wrote:instead of having a velocity range from 0-127, we could set it to 30-127. Look at it like a top/bottom velocity compressor.
That can be configured via software. You can use the drum sampler (depending of which one you have), or via MIDI tool program like midi-ox or bome midi translator.
elrules

Postby slayer666 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:43 am

elrules wrote:
slayer666 wrote:instead of having a velocity range from 0-127, we could set it to 30-127. Look at it like a top/bottom velocity compressor.
That can be configured via software. You can use the drum sampler (depending of which one you have), or via MIDI tool program like midi-ox or bome midi translator.

I'd rather have it working "out of the box" so to speak...
slayer666

Postby dmitri » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:43 am

slayer666 wrote:
dmitri wrote:

In order to get rid of some doubletriggering/crosstriggering I've set the gain to 0. The megadrum still detects those tiny hits, but they're really low in volume.
So to get more volume out of those low velocity hits it would a great feature if we can set the lowest velocity that should be played. Not to confuse with the threshold setting.
instead of having a velocity range from 0-127, we could set it to 30-127. Look at it like a top/bottom velocity compressor.

I may add additional "Hit Curves" to accomplish this or really add a compressor. I will think about this.

Ok but what difference does it make with drums? I can see it being useful on a keyboard..

It makes difference for MIDI recording software, e.g. Cubase, where a note would be recorded as if continuing for ever without a note off message.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby slayer666 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:32 am

Great!!!
I hope you add the new curve or velocity compressor soon.
slayer666

Postby slayer666 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:22 am

I finally found the time to test the new firmware with Comprlvl and Lvlshift.
This is great.
I didn't use comprlvl at all. Lvlshift did all the difference for me.
Now I can play hard and soft on the same setting with no or very little doubletriggs.
Now all I have to do is play drums!!!!!!!!!!!

\m/
slayer666

Great work!!!
slayer666

Postby elrules » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:35 am

Hi dmitri, I have some doubts about the new changes to the firmware.

1. Can the 3way triggering mode be activated between any two inputs or is there specific inputs that support this setting?

2. How is crosstalk supression implemented? When you set a crosstalk value high for input X, you then don't trigger soft hits that happen at the same time that other inputs? or is it the other way: you don't trigger soft hits of all other inputs if input X plays a normal hit? (I suppose it is the first option..) That new feature of the crosstalk groups is soooooo nice. It is going to be very useful in my kit because I have some parts of the kit separated from others. :) Has it been already tested?

3. For the high impedance hihat, can I connect both input options to the same jack? It is for making the same jack valid for both types of impedance. Is it electrically possible?

4. Where is the limit for megadrum's "ammount of code built in" vs "good performance and latency"?? You keep on making new features, till the infinite and beyond. I'm really impressed :D Is there any moment in which we are going to need new hardware ?

5. Are you going to write a manual for all this new features. I mean, not a manual saying what you can change, but a manual where you explain how all the parameters/features megadrum has, affect the triggering. (the same explanations you have spreaded all over the forum for each new firmware features). For example: "crosstalk" affects blablabla, if you set it high, you blablabla, if you set it low blabla, also, it is recommended to set this other parameter blablabla if you set this blabla.... and so on. It would be very very nice to have such document containing all the experience from you and all the users of megadrum setting it and this would make megadrum project much more profesional and greater ;)
elrules

Postby dmitri » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:13 am

elrules wrote:1. Can the 3way triggering mode be activated between any two inputs or is there specific inputs that support this setting?

On any two sequential dual inputs.

2. How is crosstalk supression implemented? When you set a crosstalk value high for input X, you then don't trigger soft hits that happen at the same time that other inputs? or is it the other way: you don't trigger soft hits of all other inputs if input X plays a normal hit? (I suppose it is the first option..)

To me it seems you described the same thing twice.

That new feature of the crosstalk groups is soooooo nice. It is going to be very useful in my kit because I have some parts of the kit separated from others. :) Has it been already tested?

Of course I tested it. It's not like with 3way triggers which I cannot test.

3. For the high impedance hihat, can I connect both input options to the same jack? It is for making the same jack valid for both types of impedance. Is it electrically possible?

If you connect two inputs together, you'll make input impedance even lower than either of the separate inputs. So, no.

4. Where is the limit for megadrum's "ammount of code built in" vs "good performance and latency"?? You keep on making new features, till the infinite and beyond. I'm really impressed :D Is there any moment in which we are going to need new hardware ?

Atmega32 is near the limit with EEPROM but it is not critical. Flash ROM and RAM usage is far from limits.

5. Are you going to write a manual for all this new features. I mean, not a manual saying what you can change, but a manual where you explain how all the parameters/features megadrum has, affect the triggering. (the same explanations you have spreaded all over the forum for each new firmware features). For example: "crosstalk" affects blablabla, if you set it high, you blablabla, if you set it low blabla, also, it is recommended to set this other parameter blablabla if you set this blabla.... and so on. It would be very very nice to have such document containing all the experience from you and all the users of megadrum setting it and this would make megadrum project much more profesional and greater ;)

Is anyone up for the task?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:06 pm

dmitri wrote:1. On any two sequential dual inputs.
So in the screen you can select and option for an input in which it takes the following input as an "slave" for the 3way thing, am i right?
dmitri wrote:To me it seems you described the same thing twice.
What I meant was:
Imagine you have set up the crosstalk parameter low for all inputs.
Then, you set crosstalk high on input X. What does this mean?
Option 1: if you hit at the same time input Z (hard hit) and input X (soft hit), probably input X does not trigger
Option 2: if you hit input X hard, the rest of inputs would probably won't trigger
I suppose (correct me please) that crosstalk works as the option 1 says

Option 1 explains crosstalk as if it were like some kind of "threshold when others inputs are hit"
elrules

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware