History of MegaDrum firmware versions

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Latest MegaDrum32 firmware versions

Postby slayer666 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:31 pm

dmitri wrote:Simplified it goes like this:
Suppose you hit a pad and it produces a peak signal of say 500. Now if Dynamic Threshold Level is set to 0 than an initial dynamic threshold for the pad will be set to a half of the peak signal, i.e. to around 250. Every millisecond this threshold will now decrease until zero. How fast it decreases depends on Dynamic Threshold Decay Time. It can be set to between 8 and 64 millisecond. If Dynamic Threshold Level were set to 7 than an initial dynamic threshold for the pad would be set to around 750.

What values did you set on the snare? I'm having some trouble with fast drums, like Death metal and hardcore.
I've set dynlevel to 7 and dyntime to 64, this got things closer to what I need, but still has more to wish for.

Great work.
\m/
slayer666
slayer666

Postby dmitri » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:18 pm

On my snare I set Retrigger to 4ms, DynThresLevel to 6 and DynThresTime to 32ms. And it works excellent.
You're sure crosstalk is not the cause of the problem? Isolate your snare from other pads and set crosstalk level for the snare to 0.
Any changes?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby slayer666 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:20 pm

dmitri wrote:On my snare I set Retrigger to 4ms, DynThresLevel to 6 and DynThresTime to 32ms. And it works excellent.
You're sure crosstalk is not the cause of the problem? Isolate your snare from other pads and set crosstalk level for the snare to 0.
Any changes?

What does the crosstalk setting do anyways? I can set it from 0-3.
0. fill in the blanks
1. fill in the blanks
2. fill in the blanks
3. fill in the blanks
slayer666

Postby dmitri » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 pm

0. No crosstalk suppression on this input
1. Low crosstalk suppression.
2. Medium crosstalk suppression.
3. Strong crosstalk suppression.

Btw, I just released a new firmware.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:01 pm

Forgive if I didn't understand well, but what is the purpose of this new dynamic threshold? I don't see any advantages, in fact, I only see disadvantages. So you play a hit of 500 strength, and if you have Dyn Thr set to 7 the threshold is set to 750? more than your hit? so next hit will be supresed? I don't get it.. If you want to do fast rolls playing at low dynamics... ?
elrules

Postby dmitri » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Dynamic Threshold is to prevent double triggering, just like Rettriger only better. It has always been in MegaDrum but now you can adjust it's parameters and per input at that. Imagine this and presume we set Retrigger to 1ms:
You hit a pad and it produces a peak signal of 1023 (maximum possible). With DynThresLevel set to 7 it'll set Dynamic Threshold to around 1500. With a DynDecTime set to 32ms it'll take around 10ms for Dynamic Threshold to decrease to around 1023 so no matter how strong another signal is within this 10ms it won't be registered. Effectively you have 10ms extra Retrigger delay for such a strong initial signal.
Now suppose you still have the same Dynamic Threshold settings - 7/32. You hit a pad and it produces a peak signal of 100. An initial Dynamic Threshold will be set to around 150. But now if your next hit, even within 1 ms of the first hit, produces a signal of 151 it will be registered!!!
From that you can see how it will behave with lower Dynamic Threshold Level settings, can't you?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:04 pm

So DYn Threshold level is a value that represents how much is multiplied the hit registered to have an initial threshold, isnt it?

A DynThrLevel of 0 sets threshold to half the hit ( 500 (hit) -> 250 (thr) )
And a value of 7 sets threshold 1,5 * hitvalue (1000 -> 1500)
So there would be a value of that parameter to set initial threshold to the value of the hit (500 -> 500)
Am I right?

And now we have Decay Time. It decreases threshold to a minimum? maybe zero, or a fixed value?
If you set it to 32ms, does it take always 32ms to decrease initial threshold to the minimum?
This way, you get a lot of delay then. In your example you mean I cannot play rolls faster than 1 hit each 10ms. But to be able to play that fast I need to practice. The real problem is if we apply this thought not to same-strength rolls but to different strength rolls. What happens if I want to play a strong hit and then, inmediately a soft hit? That I have to "wait" 32ms to be able to trigger it. That is because threshold depends on the strength of the next hit you play. Wouldn't it be easier and more playable if the retrigger is only a fixed value of time in which no signal can be triggered? but now I think about it, it will be then the same parameter as MinScan...

That algorithm is something you invented or do you know how roland or yamaha implement this parameter?
elrules

Postby dmitri » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:00 pm

elrules wrote:So DYn Threshold level is a value that represents how much is multiplied the hit registered to have an initial threshold, isnt it?

It is.

A DynThrLevel of 0 sets threshold to half the hit ( 500 (hit) -> 250 (thr) )
And a value of 7 sets threshold 1,5 * hitvalue (1000 -> 1500)
So there would be a value of that parameter to set initial threshold to the value of the hit (500 -> 500)
Am I right?

Correct

And now we have Decay Time. It decreases threshold to a minimum? maybe zero, or a fixed value?

To zero

If you set it to 32ms, does it take always 32ms to decrease initial threshold to the minimum?
This way, you get a lot of delay then.

If 32ms is too much you can set it to 16ms or 8ms, can't you?

In your example you mean I cannot play rolls faster than 1 hit each 10ms. But to be able to play that fast I need to practice. The real problem is if we apply this thought not to same-strength rolls but to different strength rolls. What happens if I want to play a strong hit and then, inmediately a soft hit?

If the second hit is so soft and SO close to a previous strong hit that it cannot exceed dynamic threshold level than on a real drum wouldn't the soft hit be masked by the sound of the previous strong hit?

That I have to "wait" 32ms to be able to trigger it.

Why 32ms all the time? The second hit isn't of zero level, is it? And again, are there 8ms and 16ms settings?

That is because threshold depends on the strength of the next hit you play. Wouldn't it be easier and more playable if the retrigger is only a fixed value of time in which no signal can be triggered? but now I think about it, it will be then the same parameter as MinScan...

MinScan is totally different thing.

That algorithm is something you invented or do you know how roland or yamaha implement this parameter?

Invented? Don't know. It was there since the first version of MegaDrum. Never heard it's been used with drums elsewhere before then. Don't know if rolands/yamaha/alesis use it. Are dynamic thresholds used in other applications? I'm pretty sure they are. It is a crazy world when they start talking about inventions then patents then licenses... brrrr:)

Btw, is it your theoretical thinking that dynamic threshold is a bad thing or you upgraded your MegaDrum to the latest firmware version and it made things worse?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:35 am

After reading you last post and understanding everything of what you said, I can say it is a great new feature :D sorry for questioning the algorithm, but thanks to I undestand it and will be able to configure it optimally for my pads. Thanks!
elrules

Postby slayer666 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:42 pm

I wanna have lowlevel on every channel as it is on the hihat pedal.
It would be useful on the snare to make the ghostnotes clearer. I remember this could be done in the old LM-4 MKII in cubase.

I'm almost where I want to be with my settings. I'll post something as soon as I have more time...
btw, what does the note off delay and latency do?
slayer666

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware