Beta testing for a totally new sampling/triggering alg

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Beta testing for a totally new sampling/triggering alg

Postby ignotus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:57 pm

dmitri wrote:Was it with a Linear Curve?

Yes.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:36 pm

Two more things: what were DynLevel and DynTime in the the double triggering screenshot and what was XTalkLevel on both inputs in the crosstalk screenshot?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:44 pm

Anyway, updated the beta firmware in the first post.
Adjusted false triggering suppression (for lighter hits) and crosstalk suppression (making shorter but stronger).
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ignotus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:25 pm

Sorry, I'm away from the kit, hopefully I'll get a chance to test it at the weekend.
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:29 pm

Updated the beta firmware in the first post.
Added an option to extend sampling period for pads with bad signal where second half wave produces higher signal than the first half wave. It is activated (for testing purposes) if MinScan is set to an odd number.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:06 pm

Fixed LCD normalized samples levels graph.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:18 am

Dedicated a separate Menu page for the samples graph: it goes right after Firmware version page
Major changes (hopefully improvements) to XTalk suppression.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ignotus » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:18 pm

Finally had time to give the latest beta a go. Xtalk is massively improved - I no longer have any problems with it. I still feel I had flams and pressure rolls working better before, but I think I need to redo my snare trigger so will wait to try that out.
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:39 pm

ignotus wrote:I no longer have any problems with it. I still feel I had flams and pressure rolls working better before, but I think I need to redo my snare trigger so will wait to try that out.

Are you using the same DynLevel/DynTime settings with the old and the new algorithms? If so, then for the new algorithm you can actually reduce both without negative affect. I have a mesh snare which produces bad signals and is very tricky to configure with the old algorithm but with the new algorithm it's pretty much perfect with DynLevel 4-8 and DynTime 20-32 - no double triggering and as far as I can judge all hits in pressrolls are registered.
Also make sure MinScan covers signals peaks (the samples graph is useful for this) - my bad snare has signals peaks at 5-6ms (50-60 MinScan).
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ignotus » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:35 pm

I re-did my snare trigger today and did some more testing. This may seem strange, but I can actually set DynLevel/DynTime lower with the old algorithm than with the beta. With the old one, I can set them at 1/4. With the beta, anything lower than 1/12 causes lots of extra unwanted notes. I can also get better flams and rolls with the old algo. Something I also noticed was behaviour with fast, hard hits on the mesh head - with the beta I get occasional low-velocity rim hits in between (but without hitting the rim), which makes it sound like there are dropped hits. This doesn't happen with the old one. If I try to dial them out with the 3rd zone parameters, I spoil the rimshot performance... And yes, I am positive that I am enabling/disabling the New Algorithm and Input Priority checkboxes to switch between versions.

It seems that my mesh pads are already well-tuned physically to avoid double triggering and for some reason the beta doesn't seem to agree with them.
ignotus

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware