Using Megadrum and Arduino together with Midi In and Out/Thu

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Using Megadrum and Arduino together with Midi In and Out/Thu

Postby glenn.szymanski » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:14 am

I'm in the process of transferring all the 32 input Megadrum electronics from inside the plastic case that I bought it with to a 1 space metal rack case.

I also want to add an Arduino PCB inside of this case to add a few soft potentiometer ribbon controllers to the shells of my drums and undersides of cymbals and assign them to Midi CCs.

The Arduino UNO does not have Midi In, Out or Thru, but I can add a shield with these functions. I'm hoping to not have to actually use a physical MIDI cable to connect these inside the metal rack case. I'm hoping to be able to just wire the Out/Thru of the Arduino to the Megadrum's MIDI in or the other way around.

I also have an Alesis Control Pad that I want to MIDI daisy chain into this set up, either before of after the Megadrum and Arduino.

Has anyone done anything like this?
Megadrum ARM32, Roland PD-120, Yamaha PCY155, Alesis Control Pad, Korg Wavedrum, Yamaha VL1-m, MacBook Pro, Muse Receptor Quattro
glenn.szymanski

Re: Using Megadrum and Arduino together with Midi In and Out

Postby dmitri » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:06 pm

MIDI on the MCU level is just a serial protocol so you can connect In/Out pins used for MIDI directly provided both MCU on the same power voltage. MegaDrum is on 3.3V. If I remember right UNO is 5V so you will need level shifters between them.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware