Possible burnt board?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Possible burnt board?

Postby Gabo666 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi guys, sorry to bother.

From one moment to another my module began to fail, and my concern is that something has burned.

The fault is that the letters are barely distinguishable on the screen, it is hardly visible (I leave an image below) and it does not allow me to move in the other parameters, also the MDM does not recognize it.

I have almost zero knowledge of electronics, the only thing I dared to test is the 5v in the connector of the board and they are arriving well.

I found a post with a similar problem in THIS POST and the guy fixed it by re-soldering the screen connections...I think that's the case, but having no experience, I prefer to consult them before breaking something else.

It is a 32-input STM32F205RCT6 module that I bought already assembled by Dmitri a few years ago, it has been updated to the latest firmware some time ago, so I rule out that it is due to a bad update on my part.

Thank you very much for any suggestions that can help me.

Excuse my English, I use google translate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gabo666

Re: Possible burnt board?

Postby dmitri » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:38 pm

Hm, it'll not be easy to judge what is wrong.

About the LCD: are you sure it is not just because the contrast set low? Read about adjusting contrast in https://www.megadrum.info/content/gener ... adrum-menu
Or the LCD may need to be replaced.

About MDM not recognizing it: if both the LCD and USB have issues then it is something major with the main board and it needs a repair. On the other hand, if it is not recognized in MDM, how did you update it to the latest firmware version?
If it indeed needs a repair, please PM me for that.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Gabo666 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:04 pm

dmitri wrote:About the LCD: are you sure it is not just because the contrast set low? Read about adjusting contrast in https://www.megadrum.info/content/gener ... adrum-menu
Or the LCD may need to be replaced.

Hi Dmitri, thanks for the answers.
I tried turning up the lighting intensity as you suggest and it didn't do anything, it stays fixed on the copyright screen no matter how much I turn the rotary, I changed the usb cable to rule out a fault in the one I was using with the same result.

About MDM not recognizing it: if both the LCD and USB have issues then it is something major with the main board and it needs a repair. On the other hand, if it is not recognized in MDM, how did you update it to the latest firmware version?

I'm afraid it could be the main board and the LCD.
To update the firmware I did it in the following way...
1- Download the latest update megadrum_20220530 from the official post.
2- From MDM (version 20200410) in the Firmware Upgrade section, I selected the megadrumSTM32d_56_20220530.bin file and gave it start and that's it.
I did the update on June 20.

If it indeed needs a repair, please PM me for that.

I'm sending you a private message because I'm sure those parts were damaged, thank you very much.
Gabo666

Postby dmitri » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:27 pm

I suspect the last firmware update did not go properly.
If it is no longer recognized in MDMFX, I suggest you to follow viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1252 to re-do the firmware upgrade.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Gabo666 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:36 pm

dmitri wrote:I suspect the last firmware update did not go properly.
If it is no longer recognized in MDMFX, I suggest you to follow viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1252 to re-do the firmware upgrade.

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I'm going to try that method and comment if it worked.
Gabo666

Return to MegaDrum Hardware