Need Help With Hi-Hat Controller Setup

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Need Help With Hi-Hat Controller Setup

Postby anewdayproductions » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:21 pm

Here are screenshots of the SD3 midi mappings and the same for MD Manager. They do not match up in what the articulations are named. I haven't got a clue what to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anewdayproductions

Re: Need Help With Hi-Hat Controller Setup

Postby dmitri » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:16 pm

If you use MIDI CC for HiHat pedal positions in SD3 then you have to set all HiHat Pedal Notes, except Chick and Splash, equal to HiHat cymbal Note(s). Chick and Splash Notes can be assigned to any Note not used for any sounds in SD3.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby anewdayproductions » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:01 pm

The names of the articulations do not match though. So how do I do that? And (separate from the controller input settings) what do I set the note as for the hi-hat trigger itself? And what about the trigger parameters for the hi-hat trigger? How does that affect all the other articulations? I have no idea what I'm doing. I need detailed step by step instructions on how to set this up.
anewdayproductions

Postby dmitri » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:57 pm

Are you talking about the names for positions between Open and Closed? It doesn't really matter and especially so since you are using MIDI CC - MegaDrum will be sending the same note for all intermediate positions and it is up to SD3 which sound to play depending on the pedal position/MIDI CC.
The HiHat cymbal Note is set in the Pad section for HiHat input.
I myself don't have SD3 so I'm not the best person to advise how to set it up.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby anewdayproductions » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:20 pm

So what you're saying is once I calibrate the controller part of the hi-hat in SD3 (with midi CC) it really doesn't matter what articulation note I send from the pad settings? SD3 will play the correct articulation (with a stick hit) according to whatever position the controller is in?
anewdayproductions

Postby dmitri » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:46 pm

It matters - all notes in Pedal settings must be equal to HiHat cymbal Note(s) so that SD3 knows that it is the HiHat cymbal, and not something else, which is hit at various pedal positions. Notes sent from HiHat cymbal hits will all be the same regardless of the pedal position but SD3 will know which HiHat sound to use for these Notes based on current MIDI CC value.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby anewdayproductions » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:46 pm

Dmitri, I appreciate your help, but I'm done. I simply want to get on with it and play. I have the drums dialed in satisfactorily and the crashes pretty decent as well. But, I'm just going to use (and mic up) a real hi-hat and ride and then use sample replacement in SD3. I'm over trying to understand and get this trigger stuff and MD to work properly. It's just too much of a pain in the ass.
anewdayproductions

Postby ignotus » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:09 am

If I can get the MDM software to run again (it's ages since I used it and for some reason it won't launch now) I'll post my module and sd3 settings. You should be able to just copy them, set the hi hat levels and be ready to play.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby ignotus » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:21 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back but today I got a chance to sit down and sort out my issues with MDMFX and update the module while I was at it. Here are my hi hat settings in the module and SD3. In the SD3 screenshot, ignore everything except the bottom 4 items and "Pedal Closed" (SD3 does the pedal open splash by itself, you don't need to set it) - that's all you need. It doesn't matter what all the rest are set to. Hope it's not too late :)
hi hat settings.png

hi hat settings SD3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Return to MegaDrum Hardware