MD+PS, Alesis Pro-X hi hat question, help please

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

MD+PS, Alesis Pro-X hi hat question, help please

Postby nemo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:20 pm

Hello All,

Just assembled MD lite and have one issue with hi hat:

***Introduction
Alesis Pro-X HH uses only Sleeve and Tip. Which in megadrum (with PS) means GND + 38.
All settings default, apart from below:

[LvlsRevers: Yes] (otherwise values were below 11 and in the wrong order)

***Now the story begins
When [LevelsAuto: Yes] the settings become:
[LowLevel: 991]
[HiLevel: 1023]

but MD keeps sending Control Change 4 without any move (hh open) - readings are above 1000

So I switch [LevelsAuto: No] and keep raising the value of [LowLevel]. When I reach 1017 the sending stops (or happens very rarely).

But then, when I close the hh, I reach max readings of 1020 (HiLevel left at 1023).
***End of story

1. Is the behaviour ok (looks unstable)?
2. With the Alesis dm8 module I had much wider range than 1017 - 1020 - is this how MD works or is it connected somehow to the first question (lack of stability)? I know there are curves etc. but I'd like to eliminate any incompatibility issues first (between MD and the Pro-X). Is there anything I can do?
I saw some comments about pull-up resistors (would it stop that crazy sending below 1017?), but thought I'll ask you first, as this may be a common issue...

Thanks in advance for your help!
nemo

Re: MD+PS, Alesis Pro-X hi hat question, help please

Postby dmitri » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:40 pm

1. It is very unlikely you need to set LvlsRevers to Yes.
2. Levels in MegaDrum have no direct relation to levels in any other module - you cannot compare them directly.
3. The controller does not use power, i.e. it uses only GND and signal wire? If so, did you feed power to the signal input over a ~10k resistor?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby nemo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:27 pm

dmitri wrote:1. It is very unlikely you need to set LvlsRevers to Yes.

Ok, reverted back to No.

dmitri wrote:2. Levels in MegaDrum have no direct relation to levels in any other module - you cannot compare them directly.

Of course, what I meant was how wide/big is the slot between min and max values

dmitri wrote:3. The controller does not use power, i.e. it uses only GND and signal wire? If so, did you feed power to the signal input over a ~10k resistor?

Nope, thanks for the advice!

So here is what I did: I added the 10k resistor between 40 and 38 (Pedal Power and Input), but without much success (the readings didn't change much). I started to consider to try out the pot, but ... before that, I gave a try to the low-impedance input (39) with the 10k resistor. And it started to work: the readings started to be about 200 to 400, so I ended up with the values:
[LowLevel: 166]
[HiLevel: 520]
and of course [LevelsAuto: No] as recommended by Dmitri.
Dmitri, please share you thougts about above if you think something is wrong or requires further testing.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks Dmitri!
nemo

Postby dmitri » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:53 pm

If you use High Impedance Input then you have to set AltIn to Yes.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby nemo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:54 pm

dmitri wrote:If you use High Impedance Input then you have to set AltIn to Yes.

Ok, I remember I read in the description of the PS board that one can use 38 for low and high impedance, but missed the software part completely :-( Thanks!
nemo

Postby dmitri » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:25 am

With the Positional sensing board you can you High Impedance input (pin 38) for high and low impedance controllers but you have to set AltIn to Yes.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware