Hi Hat settings

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Hi Hat settings

Postby BBdrmz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:31 pm

My HH are eDrum Go brand.
eDrumGo HH GH6-Y.jpg

I believe there are 3 or 4 sensors in the top hat and a switch underneath for triggering closed. There are a lot of settings and I would like to understand ALL of them. In my previous set up superior drummer figured the settings by how hard I struck a pad continuously. Knowing the language would probably help me in this area. The areas on the HH; I understand what the bell is, I think that the bow is the beefy part of the middle, beyond that I am nearly lost. The main point is that I cannot get the hat and pedal to function with one-another. Any direction would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BBdrmz

Re: Hi Hat settings

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm

This one come up first when I google for cymbal bow bell edge: https://music.stackexchange.com/questio ... ide-cymbal.
For configuring a HiHat Controller you first need to know the polarity of the controller - is it Roland or Yamaha polarity. MegaDrum modules by default come with wiring for Roland polarity unless I'm told to build a module with Yamaha polarity for HiHat controller. If MegaDrum HiHat controller input and your controller polarity mismatch then you must use a crossover cable (tip on one end goes to ring on another end and vice versa).
Then you must set LoLevel and HiLevel as per https://www.megadrum.info/content/hihat-pedal-settings
Once LowLevel and HiLevel are configured and if you use MIDI CC for pedal positions then you have to set all all Notes in Pedal settings for all cymbal zones (bow, edge and bell) and pedal positions (from semi-open to closed) equal to Notes (bow, edge and bell) in HiHat cymbal settings.
After that the HiHat controller is pretty much configured.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby BBdrmz » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:12 pm

BBdrmz wrote:Then you must set LoLevel and HiLevel as per
... On another note:
A confusing thing to me as per the documentation for the 56 input - channel number one is assigned as the hh controller or foot pedal. On the MegaDrum unit the factory preset channels are
1. Kick
2. Hihat pedal
Why is there a difference, or am I missing something? I understand that the hh control comes up first in the edit windows of the megadrum. Its not notated as channel one, though that is where it is physically plugged in. I just want to make sure I am in the right book, much less the right page.
BBdrmz

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 pm

On the modules the HiHat controller jack comes as the first jack as it is a special input. The rest of the jacks are for pads/cymbals and they start with the Kick jack.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby BBdrmz » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:39 pm

dmitri wrote:On the modules the HiHat controller jack comes as the first jack as it is a special input. The rest of the jacks are for pads/cymbals and they start with the Kick jack.

Understood, it just took some time to wrap my head around the first input not being channel one.

My next hang up Im having with the hh is what SO, HO, and SCL each stand for respectively. Thank you for the diagram explaining bow, edge, bell. Maybe if they were in the order of Edge, Bow, Bell...seems logical...Anyway, I appreciate you hanging in there with me.
BBdrmz

Postby dmitri » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:25 pm

It is explained in https://www.megadrum.info/content/hihat-pedal-settings:

Next screen HiHat Pedal->OpenLvl:
Next screen HiHat Pedal->SOpenLvl:
Next screen HiHat Pedal->SOpenLvl2:
Next screen HiHat Pedal->HOpenLvl:
Next screen HiHat Pedal->HOpenLvl2:

<HiHat Pedal >

OpenLvl: 8

Measured against CC MIDI message value: 0 - for fully open, 127 - for fully closed. Set the level below which HiHat hits registered as open/semi open/semi open2/half open/half open2 hits.

dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware