My MEGADRUM32-SMD pictures

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: My MEGADRUM32-SMD pictures

Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:48 pm

Goldie wrote:Aaron, you have trimer for contrast, right? If so i think ill use one too. Cheaper and you wont tune it every day. Maybe make little hole for small screwdriver.

yes!, thats what your suppose to use.

you dont need a hole you only set it once.
Aaron

Postby TriggerThis » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:58 pm

Great work !

I'de like to know wich voltage regulator you used ?

Since I'm not interested in the USB connectivity I need an alternate power source. A 9 or 12 volts plug-in is easy enough to find for around 5$, so I was going to use a LM7805 to get the 5 volts to the boards. I was wondering if it is what you are using, I never seen a surface-mount LM7805 so I cant really say just by looking at the photos.

Also, would you be willing to share your version of the PCB ? (sorry, but I had to ask)
TriggerThis

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:45 am

the reg is a "Recom R-785.0-0.5"
its a miniture switch mode power supply.

you can replace it with a 7805 wich is cheaper.

i will provide the board drawing to anyone interested, but i have found
that there are not many hobyists that can assemble SMD, plus its double sided.
Aaron

Postby elrules » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:25 pm

aaron, what is that polyfuse for protecting 5v hihat controller??? Is that piece on the dmitri schematics? When I have seen it on your photo I felt scare cause I have a VH-11 controller that cost me 300 euros so I don't want to toast it.

Please, give me a light on this
elrules

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:23 pm

elrules wrote:aaron, what is that polyfuse for protecting 5v hihat controller??? Is that piece on the dmitri schematics? When I have seen it on your photo I felt scare cause I have a VH-11 controller that cost me 300 euros so I don't want to toast it.

Please, give me a light on this

its a self resetting fuse to protect the megadrum from short ect..

no its not on the schematics, we have made a few changes.

like adding the regutator, caps on the inputs and bat54s diodes.
Aaron

Postby TriggerThis » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:26 am

Aaron wrote:its a self resetting fuse to protect the megadrum from short ect..

no its not on the schematics, we have made a few changes.

like adding the regutator, caps on the inputs and bat54s diodes.

You added capacitors in series with the 100 ohms resistors on the inputs -- thats what it looks like on the photo. Why ?
TriggerThis

Postby Kartman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:59 am

The capacitors go from the mux side of the 100R input resistors to ground. This is to offer some ESD and EMI protection. The schottky diodes are not rated for ESD, so they needed some protection. The capacitor value was guessed at 100pF as the 100R/100pF combination will knock the edge of most ESD transients. As to whether the 100pF affects the intended operation of the board, I don't know. Maybe Dimitri can comment on this.

The board will probably comply with CE industrial emissions but I didn't go overboard for compliance as it was just a quick lash-up.
Kartman

Postby dmitri » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:39 pm

Kartman wrote:The capacitors go from the mux side of the 100R input resistors to ground. This is to offer some ESD and EMI protection. The schottky diodes are not rated for ESD, so they needed some protection. The capacitor value was guessed at 100pF as the 100R/100pF combination will knock the edge of most ESD transients. As to whether the 100pF affects the intended operation of the board, I don't know. Maybe Dimitri can comment on this.

100pF is too low value to effect input signal from piezos/switches so it should not effect MegaDrum functionality. I may add these capacitors to schematics as an option to better comply with ESD/EMI.
dmitri
Site Admin

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware