Confused about CY-5 hi-hat zones

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Confused about CY-5 hi-hat zones

Postby D_Steve595 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:23 pm

I've got a Roland CY-5 hooked up as my hi-hat. 56-input Megadrum built by dmitri.
I've looked around for tips on how to configure these (and similar) cymbals, but I must be missing something.

When I hit the bow with a stick, the MIDI log shows a green bar (rim hit). When I hit the edge with a stick, the same thing happens.

What should I do to set up this cymbal such that I get a midi note when hitting the bow, and a different midi note when hitting the edge?

D_Steve595

Re: Confused about CY-5 hi-hat zones

Postby dmitri » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:04 pm

1. The MIDI Log shows that the HiHat pedal is closed. It could be because the pedal is indeed closed or (more likely as you still have 'Auto Levels' checked in HiHat Pedal settings) that you did not configure HiHat Pedal Low and High Level.
2. If you're using MIDI CC for pedal positions then you must set all Notes for all pedal positions in HiHat Pedal settings equal to Notes of the HiHat cymbal
3. If you're not using MIDI CC for pedal positions then you must set all Notes for all pedal positions in HiHat Pedal settings to note numbers you want for those pedal positions.
4. If you're getting the Edge Note when hitting the Bow on a piezo/switch cymbal then it means the Threshold on the Edge is set too high. Read about Threshold in https://www.megadrum.info/content/pads-settings
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby D_Steve595 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 pm

Thanks!

Regarding 1 through 3: I have not yet set up my hi-hat pedal settings. I didn't think this would matter, as the bow and edge zones should function without depending on the pedal, right?
D_Steve595

Postby D_Steve595 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:24 pm

I've read (and re-read) the descriptions in 'Pads settings', but I'm missing some knowledge about a few things.

How do I know what to set my "Function" and "Type" values to? From what I've read, I think the CY-5 is a piezo+switch pad. But what does "program change" mean? The description says "To activate the Program Change support...", but how do I know if that's what I even want?
D_Steve595

Postby D_Steve595 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:41 pm

With Edge at threshold 26:
I see occasional choke events without me touching the drumkit.
When hitting the bow, I get a Head hit.
When hitting the edge, i get a Head hit.
When squeezing the edge, I get a Choke On.
When hitting the bow with the edge squeezed, I get a Rim hit.
When hitting the edge with the edge squeezed, I get a Rim hit.

With Edge at threshold 27:
When hitting the bow, I get a Rim hit, and usually a Choke On.
When hitting the edge, I get a Rim hit, and usually a Choke On (same as above).
When squeezing the edge, I don't seem to get anything. But when I let go of the edge, I get a Choke Off, followed by a Choke On.
D_Steve595

Postby dmitri » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:29 am

D_Steve595 wrote:I've read (and re-read) the descriptions in 'Pads settings', but I'm missing some knowledge about a few things.

How do I know what to set my "Function" and "Type" values to? From what I've read, I think the CY-5 is a piezo+switch pad. But what does "program change" mean? The description says "To activate the Program Change support...", but how do I know if that's what I even want?

If you don't know what "program change" means then you don't need it.

With Edge at threshold 27:
When hitting the bow, I get a Rim hit, and usually a Choke On.
When hitting the edge, I get a Rim hit, and usually a Choke On (same as above).
When squeezing the edge, I don't seem to get anything. But when I let go of the edge, I get a Choke Off, followed by a Choke On.

You still have Threshold set too high.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware