Yamaha RHH135 pedal really small low/high levels window

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Yamaha RHH135 pedal really small low/high levels window

Postby StRaToX » Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 pm

Hi everyone, at this point I'm desperate for any advice.
I'm trying to get my Yamaha RHH135 hihats pedal to work so i can finally play my drums, it's the last part I need to setup. The pad works great, it's just the pedal

I'm using stereo cable's the pedal is plugged in the first (top left from the back) input of megadrum.

I haven't built megadrum my self It was ordered from this site back in August 2017, haven't used it since, i've been saving money of all the other drumset parts.
Now that I'm finally putting everything together, I got all the toms, snare, kick, crash, working just fine, but am having huge problems with the hihat pedal.

I've tried dmitri's advice for setting up a pedal from another post.
First press it all the way down and then keep raising the low level untill the level drops to zero, then release the pedal and keep raising high level untill the level reaches the top, The further the low and high thresholds are from one another the better. However for me the pedal level doesn't drop anywhere near zero untill I set it as high as 520 and once released the level wont reach the top and circulate between top and bottom unless I set high level to 530

thats only 10 difference
low 520
high 530

in order to see the pedal line go from full to nothing when pressing the pedal.

So the signal is all over the place and rightfully so since its working with such a small range.
!!!!
Also reading up on other peoples posts about the RHH135
they say to set AltIn to true and maybe even turn on newAlgorythm, But doing any of these things leads to the pedal not working at all.

/////////////////////////////

Now to make matters even worse, I've noticed that every time I touch the megadrum casing or the on/off switch, the hihat pedal levels start changing rapidly and the already very twitchy signal gets even more twitchier.

And then each time I restart the megadrum module the previous saved pedal settings just don't work anymore, as I guess the signal readings change every time the module is turned on and now in order to get the pedal to show the full but very limited range again, I have to alter the low and high levels every time upon restart. Mind you these are small changes I have to make still being somewhere around 520 and 530.

So that's the full story
Any and I mean any suggestion would be appreciated

I just want to play my drums, and it's been months trying to set the whole thing up.

Thanks
StRaToX

Re: Yamaha RHH135 pedal really small low/high levels window

Postby dmitri » Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 pm

MegaDrum by default comes with "Roland" polarity for HiHat controllers. When you ordered your module, did you request me to wire it for "Yamaha" polarity? If not, then you will have to use a "crossover" cable for the pedal, i.e. tip->ring and ring->tip.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby StRaToX » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:07 pm

I didn't know which hihats i was gonna get at the time, so it is definitely setup with the roland polarity then.

What is this crossover cable, what exactly do I need to do
StRaToX

Postby dmitri » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 pm

It is a stereo cable where a wire from "tip" at one end goes to "ring" on another end and vice versa. A wire from "sleeve" (screen/shield wire) at one end still goes to "sleeve" at another end. "Crossover" may be not the standard name for such a cable.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Coaster_Playz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:59 pm

I'm also having this problem (Or even no input at all),
Do you know anywhere where I could buy a cable like this or how I would go about making one? (PS. I think the name for it is reverse polarity cable)

Thanks in advance
Coaster_Playz

Postby dmitri » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Maybe this can make it more clear (how to reverse polarity):
stereo-reverse.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware