Advice for total newbie with Roland TD-9 and MBP and SD3

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Advice for total newbie with Roland TD-9 and MBP and SD3

Postby ptnyc » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:19 am

In preparation for the arrival of my 56-input megadrum kit, I have a few totally basic questions on what I’ll need to set up the megadrum:

1) I’m planning on using it to extend the number of triggers of my Roland TD-9 module. What cable do I need to connect the megadrum to my TD-9?

2) I have a MacBook Pro with superior Drummer 3 hooked up to the TD-9 (using Roland UM-ONE mk2 which I also am starting to use). Would I need to modify my setup in 1 to use the additional triggers attached to the megadrum 56?

My main interest for now is to just use more Roland pads and cymbals and ditch my splitters. I’d like to play with the TD9 standalone sounds, and be able to also switch easily to playing with superior drummer 3 VST on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks for your help.
ptnyc

Re: Advice for total newbie with Roland TD-9 and MBP and SD3

Postby dmitri » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:50 am

If you want to use sounds from TD-9, connect MegaDrum MIDI-Out to TD-9 MIDI-In with a standard MIDI cable. MegaDrum has to be powered over USB either from 5V regulated power adapter or from your Macbook.
If you want to use sounds on your Macbook, connect both MegaDrum and TD-9 to Macbook over USB.
dmitri
Site Admin

Re: Advice for total newbie with Roland TD-9 and MBP and SD3

Postby ptnyc » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks for the clear reply, Dmitri.
ptnyc

Return to MegaDrum Hardware