Connecting mallet controller directly through band cables

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Connecting mallet controller directly through band cable

Postby ignotus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:21 am

I don't think there should be a problem. The only risk I see is that all those long, unshielded wires coming from the piezos might pick up noise - but then again they might not... You could have dasiy-chained the piezo ground connections and saved yourself a few miles of wire, but that would also make carrying those loose keys around pretty awkward I suppose.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby airflamesred » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:09 am

OMG it's gonna blow up!
Looks good, are those bars going to be fixed?

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby pettersundlof » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks! Yeah, a lot of realizations came after doing a bunch of unecessary work :) I've looped the grounds into clusters of five and ran it around the device, so I've eliminated a bit of the "wire spaghetti".

I've just recently drilled the screws on which the pads will be fixed on. I will drill holes in the bottom and attach them on the screws with a plastic spacer and possibly some felt. I'm a little worried that the 10mm thick rubber will be too unresponsive for any useful velocity sensitivity, I've seen worrying signs in testing. Should have checked stuff like this beforehand. My old device used 6 or if it was 8mm rubber. I'm thinking of possible ways of cutting off a layer of the rubber if it's unresponsive, but working with rubber in a good way is quite hard I've realized...

More WIP pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pettersundlof

Postby airflamesred » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:54 pm

I have used those flat wood drill bits in this type of situation before, in your case though you'll get an unsightly hole on the playing surface.
Worst case drill right through (piezo dia of course) and add a 3mm thick on top in black and white .
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1955&start=30

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby pettersundlof » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:09 pm

airflamesred wrote:I have used those flat wood drill bits in this type of situation before, in your case though you'll get an unsightly hole on the playing surface.
Worst case drill right through (piezo dia of course) and add a 3mm thick on top in black and white .
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1955&start=30

Hm, I'll just be making shallow sinks of about 3-4mm that the screws will go into!
pettersundlof

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware