Setting up a Yamaha PCY155 for ride

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Setting up a Yamaha PCY155 for ride

Postby dsteinschneider » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:43 pm

I've been poring over the configuration info and old posts and testing suggestions. One thing I haven't achieved yet is the ability to choke. I'm using Superior Drummer 2. I did read a post on some steps in SD2 to enable choke but that didn't help.

This post is coming from the person who spent over an hour before I figured out to flip the hi-hat impedance switch up to get the hi-hat CC04 working after building a perfectly functioning hall effect hi-hat pedal conversion. So it could be something very simple I haven't done

I followed Dmitri's instructions "Setting up a Yamaha style 3 zone cymbal". I set the BNote threshold to 0 and I'm now able to "ride" the bell without smashing on it. I have the cymbal output screw set halfway.

If I ride the bow lightly it sounds how I expect, if I increase how hard I hit I start to get the wash I expect but if I hit the rim hard I don't the same sound I get if I set the cymbal to edge and tap it with the mouse in SD2.

I'm really pretty damn close but would appreciate any comments on this.
dsteinschneider

Re: Setting up a Yamaha PCY155 for ride

Postby dsteinschneider » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:23 pm

I figured it out. The step I was missing in "Setting up a Yamaha style 3 zone cymbal" was to actually hit the edge of each PCY135 or PCY155 cymbals after you set "Set All EdgeSW" to "Yes" and press the right button.

I did the same for "Set All BellSw" (hit the bell of each PCY135 and PCY155 after setting it to "Yes".

I noticed in Superior Drums 2 that the choke is working also.

These cymbals are nicely responsive to each zone. They are playing better than I imagined they would when I bought them. I'm starting to understand just how well Superior Drums 2 plays and sounds. I've had the VST for years but only played it through a keyboard.
dsteinschneider

Return to MegaDrum Hardware