Can't set up Roland CY-12C

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Can't set up Roland CY-12C

Postby Ad0 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:18 pm

https://www.roland.com/global/products/cy-12c/

I lowered the threshold to 6, set minscantime to 100 ms to pick up *something* and if I lower the threshold to 4 I get some events on gentle tapping with my finger but not using a drumstick.
Drumstick doesn't trigger on any occasion.

I have megadrum 56 with positional sensing and I have the stereo jack shipped with the cymbal plugged in jack #6. (top row, from left, looking behind the module).

I also have a CY13R which produces the same result. I have looked for recipies and guides but can't find any typical settings that should work.
What am I doing wrong?

Ad0

Re: Can't set up Roland CY-12C

Postby airflamesred » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:41 am

Gain to 4
Retrigger to 6
Stereo jack so you'll need to set different notes on the bow and edge. Where it sais single piezo at the bottom change that to Roland. Try that and one of our cymbal experts will be along shortly to assist with the choke feature.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby Ad0 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:06 am

Thanks a lot, I will try this!
Ad0

Postby Ad0 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:24 am

Sadly I got nothing with those settings. I guess it reacts to my finger because I am grounded?
If I hit it with the same strength with the stick nothing happens. If I gently tap it with my finger it reacts properly. I don't need drum sticks with a wire to ground do I? :D

I got it to react from stick hits setting threshold to 13 and gain to 8. But this can't be normal. It barely triggers and the level is really low. To me it almost feels like it's a hardware issue. But I do not want to jump to conclusions.
Ad0

Postby airflamesred » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:41 am

So what is the midi log telling you? Are you getting the correct notes, is it loe velocity or low volume?

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby Ad0 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 am

Ad0

Postby airflamesred » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:40 am

Ok, switch to the visual midi tab, change the curve to linear 1 (just in case) and untick the high level auto.
Threshold wants to be set as low as possible without auto triggering.

airflamesred

Postby Ad0 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:34 am

https://streamable.com/0giir

I tried linear but not much difference. Also the settings I send over doesn't seem to stick when I switch on and off the unit.

Forgot to turn off HighLevelAuto

Update: USB cable is grouded, I checked with multimeter that there's ground connection on the jack ground and the boards and the USB input so it can't be that.
No difference with HighLevelAuto off. One thing though is that it doesn't react on my fingers on my desktop computer, but is on my laptop. This is odd.
Ad0

Postby Ad0 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:01 pm

I refitted the ribbon connectors inside the module and now it responds perfectly! I am gonna try standard settings and try again :)

Ad0

Return to MegaDrum Hardware