Fustrations with configuring switches

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Fustrations with configuring switches

Postby ignotus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 pm

If you're getting aftertouch messages when squeezing the edge, then its working and you shouldn't need to do anything to separate the bow/edge zones - you should get separate notes when hitting each zone and they should choke when you squeeze the edge.

I think you should've used a terminal strip for the hall sensor because once you cover it in hot glue there's no way to troubleshoot it. There could be a bad connection but you can't tell or test it with all the hot glue... Still, you can pull the hot glue off again, warm it slightly with a hair dryer and it comes off easily - those sensors are not lost.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby GreasyBumpkin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:21 pm

OK, I've melted off the glue, checked connections, all seems fine, again, connections are as advised. Still nothing though. I think I may use up the last hall sensor and order some new ones, on the highly unlikely chance mine are faulty. Which terminal did you use? The ones I have are too large for such a small component

cymbal is doing better, I now have a D and C note coming through alongside the aftertouch, though I can't seem to get a good balance. It's a little unpredictable but it's definitely progress. May I see a screenshot of your (or another persons) settings?

Thanks
GreasyBumpkin

Postby ignotus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:40 am

Hi, I'm away on holiday so I can't check my settings but I'm pretty sure it must be something simple. I've used a good few hall sensors and none were faulty, I think that's unlikely.

The zone separation should work every time because it's a piezo and a switch. Could it be that light hits on the edge trigger the bow? If so there's not much you can do, it's because the switch takes some force to close. If bow hits are triggering the edge, it's the opposite problem: the switch closes too easily.

Any electrical supplies shop will stock small terminal strips
ignotus

Postby GreasyBumpkin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:41 pm

no worries.

Do you know what spec I should pick for terminal strips? Some have an amp number.
GreasyBumpkin

Postby ignotus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Any will do as long as it's the right size. The currents are so small here that it's irrelevant.
ignotus

Postby GreasyBumpkin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 am

Hi ignotus,

If you get the chance please could I see how the sensor is mounted onto your pedal?

Thanks
GreasyBumpkin

Postby ignotus » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi, I'm still away but if you scroll down this thread you can see an image of how mine is set up.
ignotus

Postby GreasyBumpkin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks for the link

Again another attempt unsuccessful.
New photos here of another attempt.

I'm lost
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GreasyBumpkin

Postby ignotus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:07 am

On the female jack, try reversing the brown and yellow wires. I've just looked at the MD schematics and it turns out that I have the hi hat in my module wired differently (I put it together myself many years ago). I may have misled you all along regarding the wiring... so apologies if it turns out to be that!
ignotus

Postby GreasyBumpkin » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:04 pm

Hey man,

So i've had a go with the switched wires and still nothing, now I'm doubting what it is I'm even looking for, I imagined the bar (CC) would be moving as I moved the magnet around the sensor. But nothings happening, no red light on the module. I'm using a TRS into the very first input.

Any thoughts?
GreasyBumpkin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware