Setup 2-zone cymbal

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Setup 2-zone cymbal

Postby Macgomes » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:30 am

Hello everyone,,,
Is there an up to date step-by-step tutorial on setting up a 2 zone cymbal (no bell separation, no choke), wired Yamaha style?

I have built a couple of DIY PMMA cymbals (22" ride (2 zone: bell/bow), 18"/17"/16"/15" crashes (all 2 zone: bell/bow) , and 14" hats (2 zone: bell/bow)), molded into form showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/ and stuck 2 piezo's underneath it.
1 piezo's at 1/4 of the edge and 1 piezo at 2/3 of the bell area underneath the cymbal.

But I do not grasp the way of how to configure it (i think).

I looked and tried to follow: http://www.megadrum.info/content/settin ... one-cymbal, but it doesn't seem to be up to date as there are quite some options mentioned which are not in my (latest) MDM.

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.
Last edited by Macgomes on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macgomes

Re: Setup 2-zone cymbal

Postby ignotus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:11 pm

If you're using 2 piezos you can't wire it 'Yamaha-style' - that's for either piezo-switch or piezo-switch-switch pads. You'd better post a diagram to show precisely how you've wired it.
When wired properly, you set it up as a dual piezo pad (e.g. same as a snare), and using crosstalk settings try to get separation between the zones. It's going to be tricky because both piezos are on the same surface but it can be done. BTW, I'd stick the bell piezo right under/inside the bell, otherwise separation will be impossible.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Return to MegaDrum Hardware