Optical hihat controller

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Optical hihat controller

Postby Antagonist » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 am

Not my intention to revive this thread, hope someone can help me, I've been trying to make this work for the last 5 days and I'm out of ideas, I measured the voltage and it changes from 0.02v closed to 2.81v open (ring/tip)(ground/diode cathode). 3.30v (ring/sleeve) all the time, I opened my megadrum and double checked for shorts in the input, and also the connections are ring = ground, sleeve = pin40 = hi-hat power, tip = pin39 = low impedance pedal. Only thing I didn't try is using the high impedance input and measuring pin13 of the first MUXer like dimitri suggested on page 12, since I don't know which IC that would be(It was built by dimitri and not me :oops: ).

I tried connecting a pot with the tip connected to the middle of the pot to see if I could get a response, and nothing happened(tried all hi-hat settings like pot, f.controller). Upgraded the firmware today and tried again with same results.

Is there any way I can diagnose what is going on? does anybody know which one is the MUXer? multiplexer? by the way the photo-resistor is IR, but I'm surprised that the pot doesn't work, maybe I'm doing something wrong? if I can get the pot working I'm sure the pedal will work, just need to figure out why it doesn't respond.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge :? . Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Antagonist

Postby dmitri » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:39 am

1. You should have contacted me directly if you suspected a fault in the module rather than opening it up. You don't have to do anything inside the module.
2. Sleeve is ground and ring is power.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Antagonist » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 pm

dmitri wrote:1. You should have contacted me directly if you suspected a fault in the module rather than opening it up. You don't have to do anything inside the module.
2. Sleeve is ground and ring is power.

I didn't think it was a fault in the module(since it was built by you), most likely me doing something wrong, I only opened the enclosure and checked the contacts that I soldered myself, I didn't touch the rest.
2 That did it, sorry confused the terms, opened it, re soldered to a new input and it works perfectly now 8-) , thank you for the help, I feel like an idiot :lol:
Antagonist

Postby privatex » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Well someone is patented this idea couple years ago. I found this patent document:

Imagehttp://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120048099
privatex

Postby dmitri » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:54 pm

I believe if there is a prior work than the patent is not valid.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby privatex » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Indeed, racer52 was testing this approach 2009, Admir even earlier so it must be scam in try.
privatex

Postby midnightlamp » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:11 am

dmitri wrote:This is the schematic:
opto.png

So this is a bump to a very old thread, but I figure it would be helpful for any Megadrum owners in North America who want to build an optical controller easily.

Using this schematic I found the following components worked well and are readily available:
LED = White 5mm 5500mcd@20ma, 20degree angle 3.4V. Example part from Digikey: https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... 30/7604628
Phototransistor = Vishay TEPT5700, 570nm peak wavelength, 100deg viewing angle, 6V max EC voltage, 20ma max collector current. Example from digikey: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 00/1681193 . Another part that was tried: Excelitas VTT9814FH and VTT9812FH, all worked fine.

I did have to play around with R1 to get the right current across the LED, and found that 100ohms worked for me. Likewise I had to adjust R2 a bit - I ended up using 5.6k in the end, but tried from 3.3k to 10k.

This works with a spacing of approximately 4mm between the LED and the photodiode, with the impedance switch "up" (low) on the megadrum module, I get a reading between 350-550 (closed to open).

Attached is a picture of my DIY controller in a printed housing: Note this sits under a set of Jobeky hihats and lets you use a standard hihat stand, and a drop clutch (because the pedal follows the hihat motion itself).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midnightlamp

Postby milindneta5 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:36 pm

A common hihat pedal goes from open to close, and that range in terms of phisical cymbal movements is usually 2 cm. How can you make it gradual with a standard acoustic hihat stand?

mobdro instalar grátis
Last edited by milindneta5 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
milindneta5

Postby midnightlamp » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:13 pm

The little printed setup I have above is very similar to the design shown in the rest of this thread - using a tapered gate that closes the light transmission between the LED and the phototransistor.

This one is set up more for a traditional drummer - where the motion is actually tiny and is quite sensitive and requires a bit of skill to control. For me personally I use closed sounds, slightly open sounds (sloshy hats), open sounds and quick transitions from open to closed, so using the controller in this form is usually a compromise.

How I adjust it is to have the lower hat sit on the protrusion at the top, and I have a machined spacer that sits between the plunger (the portion that closes the optical circuit) and the top hihat. I adjust this with small shim washers until I find the feel is right! To me this feels a lot more natural than most pedals on e-kits.

In my personal view, if one wanted more range/control you would need to place this on the pedal itself - but I don't think that's needed for me.
midnightlamp

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware