programming the ICs

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

programming the ICs

Postby estregan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:39 pm

I need help in writing the firmware to the ICs using ponyprog. I can't seem to get past 25%, it speeds up after that and reports that writing has failed. When I try to read the device and compare the results to the firmware, there really is a difference so I'm sure writing has failed.

I followed the instructions to the dot and double checked all wiring connections. What am I doing wrong?
estregan

Re: programming the ICs

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Kinda stupid question but did you select the right type of an IC?
I presume you're trying program Atmega32 and use the ISP cable? Did you program fuses first?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:11 am

Yes, I chose the right type of IC, the Atmega32. I'm also using the isp cable as specified in the schematics.

I'll try to go over the fuses thing again with the Atmega32.

I get this message when accessing my Atmega8L

Did you also encounter the same error message when programming your Atmega8L? Did you just click ignore? Even if I ignore errors, the IC doesn't seem to get written with data because when I try to write fuses and reread the device, all configuration I wrote is lost.

I wanted to use PIC18F2550 but its not available here in my country. Also, I've already bought the Atmega8L when you and Synthex finished it.
estregan

Postby dmitri » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:11 am

Look at the Documentation and FAQs page, down in the middle under "Firmware" heading where I explain how to write firmware into a chip. It also explains how to program fuses for MegaDrum. After you selected the IC type you go to Command->Security and Configuration bits in PonyProg and program fuses like shown below:
fuse32.png

Only after that you write the firmware - megadrum32_12.hex for 12MHz or megadrum32_16.hex for 16MHz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:15 am

Sorry, I realized the answer to my fuses question a while later after posting and I edited my post. Please see below my edited message:
estregan wrote:Yes, I chose the right type of IC, the Atmega32. I'm also using the isp cable as specified in the schematics.

Did you also encounter the same error message when programming your Atmega8L? Did you just click ignore? Even if I ignore errors, the IC doesn't seem to get written with data because when I try to write fuses and reread the device, all configuration I wrote is lost.

I wanted to use PIC18F2550 but its not available here in my country. Also, I've already bought the Atmega8L when you and Synthex finished it.
estregan

Postby dmitri » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:16 am

estregan wrote:Yes, I chose the right type of IC, the Atmega32. I'm also using the isp cable as specified in the schematics.

You confused me here. Are you trying to program Atmega32 for Digital Board, Atmega8 for Digital board or Atmega8 for AVR-CDC board?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:21 am

dmitri wrote:You confused me here. Are you trying to program Atmega32 for Digital Board, Atmega8 for Digital board or Atmega8 for AVR-CDC board?

I'm trying to program Atmega32 for Digital board and Atmega8L for AVR-CDC board.
estregan

Postby dmitri » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:24 am

estregan wrote:
dmitri wrote:You confused me here. Are you trying to program Atmega32 for Digital Board, Atmega8 for Digital board or Atmega8 for AVR-CDC board?

I'm trying to program Atmega32 for Digital board and Atmega8L for AVR-CDC board.

Shall we do one at a time? First - Atmega32. Are you having problem with it? Have you programmed fuses? Does it complain about missing or unknown device?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby estregan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:29 am

dmitri wrote:Shall we do one at a time? First - Atmega32. Are you having problem with it? Have you programmed fuses? Does it complain about missing or unknown device?

Ok, one at a time. Atmega32 first. The weird thing about this is now I'm also having the same error message with it. Last night I wasn't having any errors. Now, same as Atmega8L. Last thing I did with Atmega32 was read the fuses and modify it according to your specs then wrote it. Now its displaying the same error.
estregan

Postby dmitri » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:32 am

estregan wrote:
dmitri wrote:Shall we do one at a time? First - Atmega32. Are you having problem with it? Have you programmed fuses? Does it complain about missing or unknown device?

Ok, one at a time. Atmega32 first. The weird thing about this is now I'm also having the same error message with it. Last night I wasn't having any errors. Now, same as Atmega8L. Last thing I did with Atmega32 was read the fuses and modify it according to your specs then wrote it. Now its displaying the same error.

Is a crystal in place?
dmitri
Site Admin

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware