programming the ICs

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: programming the ICs

Postby estregan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:15 am

Thanks. Can I write this firmware on the new Atmega8L using the AVR-CDC board without modifying the fuses (sorry, but I just want to make sure)? On ponyprog, is the command to use to write the firmware the "write device" command?

I'll be able to try it this weekend. I will let you know what happens or if I stumble into problems (hopefully none) :)
estregan

Postby estregan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:31 pm

Ok! Finally! We have overcome the tiring hurdle of programming the ICs. You won't believe this but the problem had a very simple solution! Remember the time you mentioned this:

dmitri wrote:Of course I presume the power (5V) is there on the pin 10 when you try to program Atmega32 and the crystal is not damaged (maybe to try another crystal?).
If the healthy crystal is there along with C1 and C2 and they are properly connected but you're not able to read/write the chip anymore than it means you programmed fuses incorrectly. There are several ways to recover from this state. The easiest is explained here -> http://www.larsen-b.com/Article/260.html
You will need to find a source of around 1MHz TTL level (3,6-5V) signal and apply it to XTAL1 (pin 13 on Atmega32). With this signal applied you will be able to program the correct fuses configuration.

I neglected to pay attention to the fact that there should be power applied to the VCC! We just concentrated on the crystal and the wrong fuses programming. Me and my friend discovered this when we were looking at building another type of programming cable and noticed that all other designs had supply running on it. My friend remembered this quote of yours an after trying to program again....SUCCESS!

Thanks for your patience and understanding on this. We're facing a different kind of problem now but I'm going to post it on a separate new thread. For now, consider this case closed and I hope somebody else will learn from this.
estregan

Postby dmitri » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Congratulations and see you in other threads, e.g. boasting your brand new MegaDrum!
dmitri
Site Admin

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware