[Solved] Wiring the inputs to the module - Tom plays Cymbal

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

[Solved] Wiring the inputs to the module - Tom plays Cymbal

Postby WalterWurst » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a complete kit from Dimitry and have trouble wiring and configuring the inputs.
First I soldered every cable to the corresponding input jack like written in the manual. Since I had trouble getting it to work without heavy configuration I disconnected everything and started from scratch, now splitting and marking every wire coming from the 40pin connector cable and soldering one after another, just to make sure.

The pedal, Hihat and Snare work. But if I connect the Ride cymbal to pins 31+32 (Ride B+E) the module sends on the "Tom port" (note 71) when I hit the cymbal. Sure I can switch the notes sended or try to switch the cable on the ports - but I fear that something is not working properly right from the beginning.

On the other hand if I connected the Toms to the correpsonding pins it would play the cymbal note 78 (dampened note from the 3-way-configuration setting) - even if I disabled the port and switched to a Piezo-Switch setting -> the dampened note (78) from the cymbal port gets still played. Only if I enter the 3-way-configuration, set the port not only to disabled but the note to 0 it works, but still on the "wrong port" which does not correspond to the documentation.

Since I´m not very experienced in the field (my first drumkit and I use megadrum, sure, why not :-) ) I´m wondering what I did wrong? I´ve counted everything twice and checked everything but it stays the same. What am I missing?
Any help would greatly appreciated.

I´m using the current version of the module STM32F205RCT6 and firmware version 20181218 and megadrum manager FX 20181028

Cheers!
Walter
Last edited by WalterWurst on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterWurst

Re: Wiring the inputs to the module - Ride input sends tom n

Postby dmitri » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:32 pm

None of the inputs have notes 71 or notes 78 set with the default config. If you get these notes then it means you have already changed notes for those inputs from default values.
dmitri
Site Admin

Re: Wiring the inputs to the module - Ride input sends tom n

Postby WalterWurst » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:03 pm

dmitri wrote:If you get these notes then it means you have already changed notes for those inputs from default values.

Hello Dmitri,
this may be true, but today I started from scratch with freshly imported advanced preset and soldered together the cables one after another while testing every input/mapping with Addictive Drums 2. After some hours of soldering, configuration like crazy and saving often (just to be sure) I finally got it to work.

What I still don´t understand is the mismatch between the documentation/MegadrumManagerFX and the real pins from my module.

For example TOM1, which is documented on pins 27+28 is on pin 31+32 on my module. So I simply changed the pins cables to the correct jack (for my panel) and now it is working and triggering the right notes in AD2.

But this was not working at all (before) with the Mapping loaded from within AD2 (where the Megadrum Advanced/Basic mapping is provided) and switching/importing the mapping through MDManagerFx.

Hope you understand what I mean.
After completing this mess I will soon provide my son the drumkit he´s waiting for and I was hoping to create for him for hopefully half the price of a roland or equivalent (semi) professional model, even considering that I needed to upgrade the computer and subwoofer for him, too, which still was cheaper than buying a digital drumkit from the beginning :D

I´m a "professional idiot" :lol: and not a native english speaker so please forgive my funny explanations if necessary.

Cheers!
Walter
WalterWurst

Return to MegaDrum Hardware