Once the work of setting up is done

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Once the work of setting up is done

Postby sbonasuk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:49 pm

A lot of the questions on this forum are about the set up, however there are two very good guides to this by Ignotus and Dmitri which if followed ensure a good chance of success, this video shows what is possible.

https://youtu.be/zWRe5EJrY1c
sbonasuk

Re: Once the work of setting up is done

Postby ignotus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Nice! There's quite a shortage of videos showing Megadrum in action. I've been meaning to do one for ages but always put it off until I've sorted "x" and "y" out and never get round to it, apart from the fact that my playing sucks... It might be a good idea to also record the VST audio and sync that to the video, removing the ambient sound.

BTW, those cymbals look great, I'd be interested to know how they're made.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby sbonasuk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:42 pm

How do i do that? I am thinking of doing a series of how toos: cymbals, toms, kick, hi hat and drum machine do you think he forum would be interested?
sbonasuk

Postby ignotus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm

You record the output of the VST into a DAW, export it as a WAV or whatever, and then with a video editor you align the WAV with the video, and silence the video's audio - then you export it. I did it some time ago for a short video but can't really remember the details; besides I did it on Linux so probably it's different. But still, if you look it up online it's not that complicated.

I reckon howto videos on pad setups would be very popular.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby airflamesred » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:44 pm

It took me quite a few goes to align the audio and video last time I had a go. Upload, watch, edit, upload, watch.......
Bit of machine gunning with the above link but MD is doing a good job.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby sbonasuk » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Here is a picture of my DIY Trigger Module which incorporates a PC with WIN 10 and XLR Addictive Drums 2, a external sound card (FOCUSRITE SOLO), diy headphone amp and MEGADRUM with the cable socket cluster , this effectively gives me a standalone Drum Machine

Drum Machine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbonasuk

Postby dsteinschneider » Wed May 22, 2019 4:27 pm

I watched your video and noticed your cymbals. Can you please tell us more about them? It appears that you have placed acoustic cymbals over practice cymbals that have a custom trigger attached?
dsteinschneider

Postby KULIK » Wed May 22, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello from Ukraine. This is my megadrum.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=659&start=70
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KULIK

Postby sbonasuk » Wed May 22, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi as promised a hopefully self explanatory set of pictures as to how I made my acoustic cymbals into electronic ones

cymbal 1.jpg

Cymbal 2.jpg

Cymbal 3.jpg

Cymbal 4.jpg

Standard Cymbal, I used Zildjian purely because i'm a snob. The base is covered with Fake Roofing Lead used for flashing (note the gap it does not need to go to the edge), available from most DIY stores. Be prepared to loose the cymbal the sound deadening does not come off.

6.4mm Socket with a Variable resistor in line out to a 35mm piezo using double sided foam. Cut a hole in the flashing before it sets (see previous note). I super glued the plastic box. Hot glue everything, the vibration is extreme. Should you wish to completely deaden use 4" black elastic around the rim. I only did this to my hi-hat , however I will put it on all the cymbals. The black circle underneath is an IKEA place mat that hides the ugly sound deadening material.
sbonasuk

Postby dsteinschneider » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:07 pm

Thank you! The pictures of how you built the cymbals are very helpful.
dsteinschneider

Return to MegaDrum Hardware