Testing Inputs Without Drum Pad

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Testing Inputs Without Drum Pad

Postby ibanman555 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Is there a safe way to test the inputs of my Megadrum without a drum pad? I have recently updated my main board and it seems some of these inputs aren't working. I needed to rebuild the 40 pin ribbon cable because the original wasn't long enough for the new board. I did pin out the new ribbon cable and all seemed ok... But I'm not so sure.

For example, the rim input for snare doesn't seem to be receiving input, nor does the edge of my hi hat. Like testing a speaker, could I pop tip and ground or ring and ground with a 1.5 volt battery, just to get some sort of registration on the input for testing, or is there a safer way?
ibanman555

Re: Testing Inputs Without Drum Pad

Postby dmitri » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:45 pm

This is what I do to quickly test all inputs of the main board:
1. Start with default settings.
2. Set Noise Filtering level to 0.
3. With one hand take bare metal tweezers and touch a pin of the PosJump pin header which is closer to the inputs connector.
4. With another hand holding a bradawl and touching its needle I touch each of the inputs pins. The current through my body from ~5V on the PosJump pin to an input pin I'm touching is enough to cause this input to start triggering.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ibanman555 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Ok perfect. I'll give that a try. By the way I did back track my steps from earlier and found the my hi hat edge stopped responding after setting the new noise filter algorithm from 5 to 8... I'm not entirely sure why yet but after reverting back all worked again
ibanman555

Postby dmitri » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:51 pm

You may need to adjust Thresholds (especially on switch inputs) when changing Noise Filtering level.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ibanman555 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 pm

The edge is a switch so I will dive in a little deeper with that. Thanks as always Dmitri
ibanman555

Return to MegaDrum Hardware