roland pd8 best settings, configuration problem

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

roland pd8 best settings, configuration problem

Postby lasot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 am

Hi guys. I've still been working on configure my rolnd pd8 pads.
All I did correct is I have separated rim and head BUT when I play on rim really light, then instead of rim the head is beeing heard.
How to fix it? anynody has an experiance with these pads? Or maybe is an nature pf MDM? When i plug pd8 through my octapad and connect to computer, then it works perfect. HOW TO DO THIS ON MDM TO WORK THE SAME. I need two separate sounds- head and rim- including all dynamics level for each.
any help, any screen shots? ideas? In my opinion it should work similar for all pd8 pads. I have 10 of them and they works the same.
thanks for ANY help. and if it's a nature of MDM , tell me and I will stop wasting a time looking for the perfect setup.
thanks a lot
michal
lasot

Re: roland pd8 best settings, configuration problem

Postby dmitri » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am

Post a screenshot of your settings on the pad.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lasot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

thanks Dimitri for your reply

Number 1 is the setup I had beed using up to one week ago. All hits are the rim but when i hit rim lighter, then mdm recive it as a head.
number 2 I found on the forum but it still doesn't work correct. And the same here. Green is a strong rim hit. The blue is the rim too but hit lighter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lasot on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
lasot

Postby lasot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:57 pm

is it all right? can you download the images? I wasn't able to put them direct on forum.
lasot

Postby dmitri » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Taking the second screenshot as a starting point.

1. You'd better insert images directly in the forum - the forum allows you to do this.
2. Don't disable 3rd Zone. Set Notes in 3rd zone equal to Notes on the Edge/Rim.
3. Threshold on the 3rd zone must be set lower then Threshold on the Edge/Rim. Set it to 0.
4. Set Curve on the Edge/Rim to Exp2Custom7.

Repeat testing. After that post a screenshot of settings again and describe a problem again if it is still there.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lasot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:45 am

ok. that is how it looks.
all hits are really strong rim hits. it's hard to achieve high volume. when I hit lighter it is still a lottery - sometimes hear a rim-green, sometimes hear a head-blue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lasot

Postby dmitri » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm

On the Edge/Rim set Gain to 7. Adjust Threshold (set it higher). What is the minimum possible Threshold on the Rim when you still get Aftertouch messages when you press/release the rim switch? What is the maximum possible Threshold on the Rim when you still get Aftertouch messages when you press/release the rim switch?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lasot » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:50 am

ok. i did 7 of gain on rim.
If you mean aftertouch as a grey stripes appearing itselfs, so max threshold to not see them is 36-37 but then I still get a head stripes hitting a rim on pad sometimes. (photo nr 1)
there is no minimum threshold in my case. I mean, even I put '0' threshold I don't have aftertouch message (grey stripes). but first level the green rim stripe appears (when I hit a rim on a pad) is 15 but on this level sometimes appears and sometimes not. Mostly when I hit the rim on this level (15) the blue stripe appears so it is definitely too low. (photo nr 2)
lasot

Postby dmitri » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:22 pm

lasot wrote:ok. i did 7 of gain on rim.
If you mean aftertouch as a grey stripes appearing itselfs, so max threshold to not see them is 36-37 but then I still get a head stripes hitting a rim on pad sometimes. (photo nr 1)
there is no minimum threshold in my case. I mean, even I put '0' threshold I don't have aftertouch message (grey stripes). but first level the green rim stripe appears (when I hit a rim on a pad) is 15 but on this level sometimes appears and sometimes not. Mostly when I hit the rim on this level (15) the blue stripe appears so it is definitely too low. (photo nr 2)

36-37 is the minimal Threshold in this case. There will be a maximum Threshold after which you'll stop getting Aftertouch messages when you press the switch. What is this level?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby lasot » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:18 am

it never stops aftertouch message above 37 threshold up to 127.
from 39 threshold I have actually only green rim stripes even I hit a head.
lasot

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware