ATV Cymbal connection

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

ATV Cymbal connection

Postby JOmgdLAT » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Hello there,
I´m currently Setting up my new atv cymbal.

As it has to Outputs as have Roland three Zone cymbals I supposed I´d have to set it up as follows:

dmitri wrote:1. Plug the Bow/Bell cable into Aux1
2. Plug the Bow/Edge cable into Aux2
3. For Aux1 Head set Type to 3way Roland
4. For Aux1 Rim set Type to Switch
5. For Aux2 Rim set Type to Switch
6. From http://www.megadrum.info/content/miscellaneous-settings use 'Set All EdgeSw' option to auto-set Threshold on Aux1 Rim and Aux2 Rim. After completing this procedure you will have Threshold on Aux1 Rim and Aux2 Rim set between 1 and 50. You may still adjust these Threholds slightly so that when you press/release either the edge or the bell switch you get MIDI Aftertouch On/Off messages. You can use either MegaDrum Manager or MIDI-OX to monitor for MIDI Aftertouch messages.
7. At this step you should have zone separation for all 3 zones and you will need to configure all other parameters (don't change Gain setting otherwise you will need to start from step 6 again). Bow settings are in Aux1 Head, Edge settings - in Aux2 Rim, Bell settings - in Aux1 Rim.

But what do I set Aux2 Bow Type to?
In order to be able to set Aux2 rim to Switch, I have to choose either "Dual or 3Way Yamaha" or "3Way Roland"
Is there a difference between those two Options?

Thanks in Advance!
JOmgdLAT

Re: ATV Cymbal connection

Postby dmitri » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Set it to ""Dual or 3Way Yamaha" so that the next pair of inputs is not interpreted as part of a a Roland 3way cymbal.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby JOmgdLAT » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:11 pm

thanks for your answer!
JOmgdLAT

Postby JOmgdLAT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi there again

After my first theoretical Question I now finally have the Ride cymbal connected to my kit.

There is a Problem I can´t solve by myself: It doen´t matter which Zone i´m striking it´s always the Bell Zone which is being triggered accompanied by the dampened note of aux 2. Most of the time both Signals have About the same Velocity.

When checking the High Level Auto (and lower the already set Highlevel) both the aux 1 and aux2 Rim/Edge Highlevels are being changed but the HLvl of Head/Bow form aux 1 stays.

I´m attaching screenshots of my Settings and the Midi log.

in the first midi log you can see that I hit first the bow twice , than two times the bell, twice the bow again and then two times the Edge. The second one (with the dampened note) was bell/bell/bow/bow/Edge.

What do I have to Change for it to work properly?
Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOmgdLAT

Postby JOmgdLAT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:11 pm

It Looks like until now I hadn´t understood what dampened note even means. I think I now do.

So it is correct that the dampened note occurs when I hit the Edge of my ride.

Additionally I still haven´t done step 6 from the Quote above. I totally forgot About that. Is it possible to enable "Set All EdgeSw" via MDM or is this only available on the Megadrum itself?
JOmgdLAT

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pm

1. Upgrade the firmware to the latest firmware version.
2. Use MDMFX instead of of MDM. MDM is no longer updated or supported.
3. Dampened note - is when you hit the cymbal while holding the edge or bell switch pressed
4. Threshold on the 3rd zone must always be set lower then Threshold on the switch input.
5. Since it is a 3way Roland type cymbal set the Threshold on the 3rd zone to 0 and all 3rd zone notes equal to notes of the switch input.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby JOmgdLAT » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks.
I did steps 1 and 2. I guess I understand 3 now.
I had raised the 3rd Zone threshold to look wether that would Change anything, it is already back to Zero.
I´ve done step 5 (and "Set al EdgeSW") and thats how it Looks like Right now:

Because of Set all EdgeSW the threshold of both Edge Inputs have been changed. The Treshold of the bow Input stayed untaouched at 30. As you can see there is still no Zone Separation. Always both the Bell and Edge sounds are being triggered.
Additionally I now got some aftertouch Messages that I don´t understand. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOmgdLAT

Postby JOmgdLAT » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Sorry for writing so many consecutive Posts here. I´m an absolute newbie when it Comes to Setting up E-drums with so many Parameters. I had the some other drum modules before that where way easier.

I did the "set all Edge SW" again. in order to rule out the possibility that I did something wrong there.
Now I´ve got a good Separation between bell and bow but I get with nearly every hit the midi Signal that the head/bow of Aux2 has been triggered.

And when I hit the Edge of my cymbal the Bow section of Aux 2 is being triggered. The way I currently understand it is that the Edge of a Roland 3 Zone cymbal is the rim/edge section of Aux2. Or is that wrong?
I´m again attaching screenshots:

After the rimshot with vel 127/note 37 I hit bell/bell/bow/bow/Edge/Edge

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Even though it is sending the note "0" here in these screenshots I can say for shure that it is the Bow section of Aux2 because I had changed the note and the sent note Always was the note from Bow aux2.

Of Course simply Setting my Edge note to the bow auf Aux2 wouldn´t be a Problem at all, but there is still the issue that the same Sound is triggered when stirking bow or bell.

Is the reason to this Maybe Crosstalk?

I don´t really think so, because I´ve put bow/bell and bow/Edge Inputs into a seperate Xtalk Group and tried raising xtalk but it did not get any better.
What is in your opinion the cause for my issue?
JOmgdLAT

Postby dmitri » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:47 pm

To be honest, I read it several times and I'm struggling even more to understand what the problem is now. In viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1968 did you read http://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtop ... 613#p17613 ?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby JOmgdLAT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:39 am

The Problem I have is that, whenever I strike the bell or the bow of my Cymbal the head/bow section of the second ride cymbal Input (bow/Edge) sends a midi note, too. This is the main Problem.
in the midi log from this post
...After the rimshot with vel 127/note 37 I hit bell/bell/bow/bow/Edge/Edge

You can see that after having striked th bell (61) or the bow (60) there is Always the midi note 0 which Comes from the head/bow channel of the bow/Edge ride Input.

And when I strike the Edge of my ride it is also the head/bow channel which is being triggered, which you can see in the same post as well. the last two notes that are seeen in the midi log were Ride Edge strikes. They should be in my case the note 62 (from the rim/Edge channel of the bow/Edge Input) and not the note 0 from the head/bow channel of the bow/Edge ride Input)

I hope my Problem is clearer now.
Thanks in Advance!
JOmgdLAT

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware