megadrum not triggering some ghost notes

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

megadrum not triggering some ghost notes

Postby visy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 am

I have a 14" snare with a 3 ply mesh head and a centrally mounted jobeky trigger. I've got it working pretty well except for one little thing, its not triggering all soft ghost notes.

It's very specific as to what ones it does not trigger. If I play a couple of soft hits before an accent it triggers fine. However, if I play a couple of soft hits after an accent it doesn't always trigger the note directly after the accent.
I have attached my settings below. Does anyone know what settings I should adjust to fix this. DynLvl and DynTime are set pretty low so I'm a little bit lost as to what it could be.

megadrum snare settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
visy

Re: megadrum not triggering some ghost notes

Postby dmitri » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:07 pm

1. How did you set up HighLevel? Setting up HighLevel correctly (close to the maximum trigger output level) is very important for correct double triggering suppression.
2. Is it dual zone pad? If so then you need to configure the pad as such and MinScan on both zones must be close values.
3. You may still set DynTime and/or DynLevel even lower.
4. If a soft hit comes very close after a hard hit it may be very difficult to get the ghost note play without sacrificing double triggering suppression. How would MegaDrum tell double triggering from a ghost hit? From the trigger signal point of view they will look like pretty much identical signals.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby visy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:03 pm

dmitri wrote:1. How did you set up HighLevel? Setting up HighLevel correctly (close to the maximum trigger output level) is very important for correct double triggering suppression.
2. Is it dual zone pad? If so then you need to configure the pad as such and MinScan on both zones must be close values.
3. You may still set DynTime and/or DynLevel even lower.
4. If a soft hit comes very close after a hard hit it may be very difficult to get the ghost note play without sacrificing double triggering suppression. How would MegaDrum tell double triggering from a ghost hit? From the trigger signal point of view they will look like pretty much identical signals.

I set up high level by using Auto high level to get a starting figure. I then disabled auto high level and started to increase high level until I no longer was able to get a velocity of 127 with my hardest hits. Then I brought high level down a bit to get a velocity of 127 on my hardest hits.
Is this the correct way???

Its is a dual zone pad but I had false triggering issues on the rim trigger so have set them both to single piezo and disabled the output on the rim trigger as per the settings I attached.
Is adjusting Min scan going to improve this?
I just made it a value close to what the manual said.

What other settings should I be adjusting?
Is it just retrigger mask, DynLvl and DynTime and if they dont work then it never will?
visy

Postby dmitri » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 pm

visy wrote:I set up high level by using Auto high level to get a starting figure. I then disabled auto high level and started to increase high level until I no longer was able to get a velocity of 127 with my hardest hits. Then I brought high level down a bit to get a velocity of 127 on my hardest hits.
Is this the correct way???

Yes, it is correct.

Its is a dual zone pad but I had false triggering issues on the rim trigger so have set them both to single piezo and disabled the output on the rim trigger as per the settings I attached.
Is adjusting Min scan going to improve this?
I just made it a value close to what the manual said.

For correct zone separation a dual zone piezo/piezo pad must be set as a dual zone piezo/piezo pad and MinScan on both zones should be identical.

What other settings should I be adjusting?
Is it just retrigger mask, DynLvl and DynTime and if they dont work then it never will?

Yes, these settings are the settings which control double/false triggering suppression.

1. Set Retrigger to 1, and both DynTime and DynLevel to 0. You still cannot get ghost hits? Then you probably need to lower Threshold or raise Gain.
2. I understand the pad is a DIY pad. Are you sure about the quality of its build? Maybe the head needs different tension, position of the piezo cone, cone shape/material and etc ?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby visy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:23 am

I pretty much got it perfect now. Bringing threshold down had more of an effect than I thought it would.
I do have one other question though. What effect does Min scan have on triggering. I have set a value of around 50 as that what the docs said to do for a mesh pad but I'm not sure how this effects triggering results, how to adjust it and what to look for when adjusting it.
visy

Postby dmitri » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Mesh type pads tend to produce longer wave (lower frequency) signals. If MinScan is set too low, it can miss peak signal so not registering right signal level. On the other hand, increasing MinScan too much will unnecessary increase latency of the input.
dmitri
Site Admin

Return to MegaDrum Hardware