Another Optical Controller

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Another Optical Controller

Postby CainArg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi!

this is my first post here, I'm from Argentina and recently I got a MD from Dimitri, a really BIG THANK YOU Dimitri!!!! I've been lurking this forum from 2010 with nothing to say but too much to read.

I wanted to made an E-Drum set for my son, so I got a silent practice drum from https://www.zzpercusion.com/tienda/baterias/bateria-de-practica-muda-mesh-head/
I got some vinyl print mesh, the one used for street advertising signs, because I read that is very strong and suitable for that.

We needed a Hi Hat controller so I made the one Racer52 did following schems from Dimitri. But I don't wanted to add springs or other tensions that interfere with the hi hat natural operation. Here are the pics of the mechanical part:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I made with Polypropilene water pipes brand Aquasystem (here in Argentina) the big one is 32mm (1") and the thinner is 20mm (0,5") wich fits lossely inside the other.

Flag was made with a promotional PVC card, with a silver tape in one side to darken a bit. 2 pipes where glued with a hot glue gun and the flag is also glued in an insert that was cutted when both pipes became one. The wider is attached with preassure to de hi hat's bottom nut, for that I took off some material to made a match for the nut. It can be removed if needed but it's really tight.

The bottom part was made with a 32mm and a half cutted 20mm pipe where leds/board would be attached. At the bottom, I glued pipes cover and made a cross cut to fit at hi hats bottom.

The blue pot is from a soda water bottle, I made a hole to fit tight at hi hats bottom's also, attached the stereo jack al rear.

The circuit is attached to the bottom green part only by bending leds so it can be ease took appart if needed.

For the rest, you know how it works with phototransistor/led/flag working together.
I need to say that it worked ok only when I took off the exit diode, before that I had a very tight low/high positions (300/430) now I'm getting 180/530 so the pedal behave in a more natural way.

The blue base became very strong attached to the bottom felt, because the cross cuts made at bottom part helps a lot.

Well, you realize at this point my english is horrible, but anything is ok when you need to communicate.

Thanks for all!!!
CainArg

Return to MegaDrum Hardware