Pads way too hot?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Pads way too hot?

Postby samwer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:48 pm

2. 210
3. 741
4. 741

To summarize it stays "dynamic" until I reach 741 which is a medium-strength hit that should be something like 80 velocity.

Edit: and it seems like the Alt Sampling Alg does affect the high level, but the ratio between the light and heavy hits are the same, it's just more sensitive and yields higher numbers. With Alt Sampling Alg enabled the values were ~70 and ~300 instead.
samwer

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 am

At this point, without having the same pad to test with I can only suggest to "cool" the pad down with a 10-20k resistor in line on the tip wire.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 am

I've just tested it with 3 mesh type pads I have (Pintech and Drumtec, 8", 10" and 12") and none of them have the problem you have. With all of them I get max velocity only with strongest hits and I can get all velocities between 1 and 127:
Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 11.16.31.png

This is of course with 'Alt Sampling Alg' disabled:
Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 11.22.08.png

With 'Alt Sampling Alg' I do indeed get 'clipping' but as I mentioned several times in other places, this algorithm is not well tested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby samwer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:39 pm

I went out and bought some resistors to try it out, and 15k, 24k and 36k resistors did almost nothing, so eventually I put in a 100k resistor and it seems to be working pretty much like I want it to.

Since my soldering skills are the absolute pits I guess this will test my patience to its limits, but at least now I know that the problem can be solved this way. I guess we can mark this as solved! Thanks for the help.
samwer

Postby drumsdibums » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 pm

samwer wrote:I went out and bought some resistors to try it out, and 15k, 24k and 36k resistors did almost nothing, so eventually I put in a 100k resistor and it seems to be working pretty much like I want it to.

Since my soldering skills are the absolute pits I guess this will test my patience to its limits, but at least now I know that the problem can be solved this way. I guess we can mark this as solved! Thanks for the help.

Might I join in and ask if this (> put in a 100k resistor) really and completely(!) solved your issues samwer?

How did you went on with setting up your pads...?
> solder in a (fixed i guess?) 100k resistor... > was this just in series with the hot/red (ceramic) wire of your piezo... so piezo wire>100k resistor> wire to jack....
> and then starting from scratch with setting up your meshpads in megadrum manager?

Might wanna share the settings you had in the end? Sure I can not copy them one to one for my pads...but it will be helpful to know where to go..what to look out for and pay special attention to when setting it up.

Any things in the settings you found to be interessting/different... something special to pay attention when adjusting the settings with a "cooled down" pad?

-------------------

This is indeed an interesting thread, specially since I had exactly the same issues like you did...

I made a tread here: Pad sensitivity not that great for medium and hard hits > viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3122&start=20

Ignotus suggested to use some 10k / 25k trim pots on the pads.
Which I bought but unfortunately this project is still not finished since I did not find the time to work on it...

> interesting to hear that you needed to put in a 100k resistor...?
drumsdibums

Postby Theblackcat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:53 pm

I had the same problem so I soldered 20K multiturn trim pots to all of the drum inputs. Makes it possible to very accurately adjust how sensitive your inputs are, and to me this seems the be the way to make things work for me!! Pretty sure 10k trimpots would´ve been enough for my setup, but they only had 20k at the shop.

I´ve got a acoustic converted kit - 8, 10, 13, 14, 16, 22, with, I think it´s three layer mesh heads and centered triggers from UFO Drums.

I wired the trimpots as this illustration, only with one trimpot between tip and sleeve - didn´t need one for the rim trigger.
Trimpot wiring.jpg

This is what it looks like now
Trimpot Overview.jpg

I unsoldered the wire from the "tip-connector" in the MD, and soldered it to the middle leg of the trimpot, soldered a wire from one of the other legs to the "tip-connector" in the MD, and the soldered a wire from the last leg of the trimpot to the "sleeve-connector" in the MD - dunno if you get the idea from the photo?
Trimpot Detail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Theblackcat

Postby Theblackcat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Trimpotdetail.jpg
Theblackcat

Postby airflamesred » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Good post mate, should be a sticky.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby drumsdibums » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Hey BlackCat! Thank you for your post and the 1000words (>pictures) that was really helpful!!

Hope this will do the trick for me too.

Ignotus suggested to wire the trimpots differently... in such a way that the piezo goes to the middle pin and the other (in your drawing the left pin for the head piezo) to the output. I don't know if this really makes a difference? But since you did it that way it probably does not matter.

(shouldn't in your graphic the sleeve =ground be on both trimmers on the same pin? so both left OR right? )
drumsdibums

Postby Theblackcat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:36 pm

We´ll keep our fingers crossed!!

I´m pretty sure it won´t make a difference if you solder the trimpots the way Ignotus suggested, depending on the nature of the trimpot?? As long as you just wire ém the same I assume you should be good!

Regarding the grafics on the wiring, you´re absolutely right!! I found the grafics in some other thread, and posted it hoping that people would understand despite the different wiring of the 2 pots!!
Theblackcat

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware