Yamaha PCY-135 ride cymbal settings anyone ?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Yamaha PCY-135 ride cymbal settings anyone ?

Postby marcusHere » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Does anyone have successful settings for the Yamaha PCY-135 cymbal used as a ride ?
Also, would the settings vary depending on my drum software and PC , or can I assume that the config settings in the MD would work work anyone, except for maybe the theshold due to closeness of other drums and rack vibrations ?

Thanks !
14" acoustic snare with drumtec realfeel 3-ply mesh head and roland RT-30HR trigger. roland rubber pad toms. Yamaha PCY-13 ride , Roland CY-8 crash and hihat. GoEdrum hihat controller. Roland KD-8 kick pad.
marcusHere

Re: Yamaha PCY-135 ride cymbal settings anyone ?

Postby airflamesred » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:42 pm

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby dmitri » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:33 pm

dmitri
Site Admin

Postby marcusHere » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:26 pm

I did, but I would still need to configure other settings. The link that airflamesred posted is great for those other settings.
14" acoustic snare with drumtec realfeel 3-ply mesh head and roland RT-30HR trigger. roland rubber pad toms. Yamaha PCY-13 ride , Roland CY-8 crash and hihat. GoEdrum hihat controller. Roland KD-8 kick pad.
marcusHere

Postby marcusHere » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:12 pm

A couple of questions.

1. Does the Note value have to match something in the drum software or can I just choose any value ?

2. The indtructions say to set the BNote value but I cant find it . Screenshot attached.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marcusHere

Postby airflamesred » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:01 pm

A couple of tips;
If you are seeing red font in MDM it means that it has different values to those on MD - 'send all'
I can't under estimate the importance of setting the high level and threshold before anything else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6crpT1jfeS0

Answer to Q1 - yes, The note and channel need to correspond with drum software.
I don't recall where Bnote is but set the other stuff first.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby dmitri » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:48 pm

As per http://www.megadrum.info/content/pads-settings:

PadName->BNote

For piezo/switch/switch 3 zones pdas/cymbals: Note number for the 3rd zone of a 3 zone Yamaha style pad/cymbal.
For piezo/piezo dual zone pads: Note number for a rim shot. Set equal to a note number of the rim to disable rim shot functionality. Note that this feature is still experimental. Right settings for HighLevel on both the head and the rim inputs is very important. Raising MinScan on both the head and the rim can also improve rim shot reliability.

So accordingly, it is a Note in the 3rd Zone settings.

Also, if you don't use AltNote or PressrollNote then you have to set them equal to Note.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby marcusHere » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm still having trouble getting started with this. I want to set the ride cymbal up first. So I've unplugged everything except the ride. I've started by following the instructions here. ( It's a yamaha 3-zone ride. )
http://www.megadrum.info/content/settin ... one-cymbal
If I hit the bow I see number 51 in the midi log window. So I assume that's the note number I enter for bow. But what should I enter for edge and bell ? If I hit the edge or the bell of the cymbal I don't see anything in the midi log. I know the cable is fine because if I plug it into my TD-6 module I hear bow and edge sounds.
marcusHere

Postby dmitri » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:31 pm

You have to set Notes on the Edge and the Bell to match sounds of the edge and the bell in the software drum synth you use.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby marcusHere » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:04 pm

I'm using superior drummer. I've found a place where you can click 'learn' and then I suppose hit the edge and see a value displayed but nothing happens. I'll make a video of what I'm doing to show how I seem to be just hitting brick walls. I've looked in EZdrummer and not found anywhere to see or set note values. I also have addictive drums but it needs reinsinstalling as it's corrupt. I was recommended to use EZdrummer to start off simple but as I can't see any note values there I looked in Superior drummer, where I found the deal 'learn' function. In the meantime , gonna go back to my TD-6 to get some practice in.
marcusHere

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware