5 Volts on USB bus ?

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: 5 Volts on USB bus ?

Postby dmitri » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:58 pm

D_Low wrote:Hi Dmitri, I have been lurking in all the usual eDrum sites for about 2 months now. I am just about to finish my first set. I bought a used alesis DM5 and built some DIY mesh pads. I already see that I would like more triggers than the 12 I have, so I am thinking about building your edrum module. It looks real nice, I love the fact you do not need pots. What a lot of work that saves in mounting alone.

Your project is so new with not many completed units, it worries me as I am a real electronic armature. I see in this thread, you and Synthex discovering glitches and solving them on the fly.

I like the idea of not needing a pic programmer, but what if I build your first circuit and run into the same problems that Synthex did? I would be lost! I have done a lot of soldering and built a few electronic projects succsefully, but I really can not figure much out on my own. :D

Do you suggest waiting for the pic version and building a programmer? or do you feel Synthex's problem was unusual and I should not have it?

Thanks and great site you have going here. I think the momentum will pick up for popularity. Your DIY drum module is the best I have seen.

BTW I am in mechanical engineering also.

Hi D_Low,

First of all, thanks for appreciation!
You don't need to worry about the problem Synthex had with avr-cdc USB board. MegaDrum is very modular. You can build it without any USB board and use only standard MIDI I/O. In that case you'll just need to power it from a suitable 5V power source. Now, if you want to use MegaDrum over USB but don't want to mess with a PIC programmer you still have an option of using FT232RL based USB board which is fully USB compliant. But if you later decide to build a USB board which Synthex has developed you won't need to change anything except replacing this the the USB board. With Synthex's board and with MegaDrum Controller it'll be a very powerful and versatile Drum to MIDI trigger.

Be one of the first to have built and played MegaDrum!:)
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Synthex » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:55 am

Here is the first version of firmware for USB MIDI :D

Thanks for comments !
Last edited by Synthex on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Synthex

Postby slayer666 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:12 am

Thank you :D

any news on the pcb design of the PIC18F2550 USB/Midi board?

I'm about to get the boards done but I suck at pcb designing ;)
slayer666

Postby dmitri » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:30 am

Thank you Synthex!
I'll be testing it tonight. I created another topic dedicated to a true MIDI USB board.
Can I ask you to repost this great piece of news there?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Synthex » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:23 pm

Ok, i'll do it this evening.
Synthex

Postby Synthex » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:04 pm

slayer666 wrote:any news on the pcb design of the PIC18F2550 USB/Midi board?

The pcb design of the PIC18F2550 is very simple !
You can do it so easily ;)
Synthex

Postby Synthex » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:42 pm

Here is PCB !!! 8-)

>>> HERE <<<
Synthex

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware