MegaDrum Velocity Sensitivity

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

MegaDrum Velocity Sensitivity

Postby midiverb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi All,

I recently purchased the megadrum & I love it.

However I'm having trouble with velocity sensitivity, I am trying to use the megadrum as a midi mallet device but I'm not having any luck with the velocity sensitivity.

I have a single 27mm piezo connected directly to the megadrum ( black wire to ground 15 , red to input 1 )

at the moment I'm playing about with different pads /surfaces /settings/ sticks but it seems no matter what I do I can't get anything other than max velocity .

I have tried lowering the threshold but it still just gives me max velocity.

Any tips & advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Owen
midiverb

Re: MegaDrum Velocity Sensitivity

Postby dmitri » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:32 pm

midiverb wrote:at the moment I'm playing about with different pads /surfaces /settings/ sticks but it seems no matter what I do I can't get anything other than max velocity .

Can we start with some definite pad/surface/sticks and settings you used?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby midiverb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi Dmitri,

Thanks for the reply, at the moment I am using

1 x 27mm piezo sandwiched in between 2 x 5mm neopre pads on 1x 18mm plywood board, being struck with a Timpani Mallet. with the attached settings.

I've gone as low as 20 with the threshold & still no difference.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midiverb

Postby dmitri » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Did you read about HighLevel in http://www.megadrum.info/content/pads-settings and its relation to MIDI velocity?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby midiverb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Dmitri,
Thanks for the link, If i've read it right It looks like need to produce the input of the piezo. do you think a 470ohm ( i happen to have a few ) would be too much? thanks again for your help.

All the best
owen
midiverb

Postby dmitri » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Sorry, I don't understand what resistor you're talking about. I'm referring you to HighLevel setting in this particular case. You set it to 96. Why?
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby midiverb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Sorry , I ment reduce the input voltage ,as in put a resistor on the hot leg of the piezo before it gets to the megadrum .I have played with the highlevel setting and it didn't change anything so I left it at 96 which was the default. Hope that makes sense .
Thanks
midiverb

Postby dmitri » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:29 pm

You sure it didn't change anything? Set it 1023, check it is indeed 1023 in MegaDrum itself and then post a screenshot of the MIDI Log after you hit the pad a few times lightly.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Btw, in the first post you say you connected the pad to the input 1 but the screenshot you've made shows inputs 34 and 35.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby midiverb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi Dmitri, sorry I wired it a while back so my mistake. the piezo must be connected to input 34. when I change the note on the editor it changes.

I just confirmed the highlevel on the megadrum LCD and it's also 1023.

also I think I am now getting changes in velocity but it's a bit unpredictable. thanks for all your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midiverb

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware