My Megadrum project.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: My Megadrum project.

Postby airflamesred » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:02 pm

I couldn't find a replacement for the usb either so just trapped the lead when putting the case back together. What I did discover was that when mounting my megadrum in a rack with other units that constant triggering occurred. Clearly some earthing issue, and probably down to me, never the less worrying.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby oskar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 pm

chrishopf wrote:I glued the connector in the prepared rectangular hole with epoxy glue. Then I soldered the cables directly to the pins.
chrishopf

Great idea. The rectangular hole will also be sealed/closed were it's a bit to wide. I will use it in addition. After that I think I will paint the back and front panel of the enclosure ferrari yellow or so. I want it to have a light colour because, as I saw on your device, it's better to have dark descriptions on a light background than the other way around, that's also the reason that my hifi set is silver in stead of black.

How did you mount the screws on the inside of you enclosure (for the display and buttons), was it done by welding or also with expoxy or another glue?

airflamesred wrote:....constant triggering occurred. Clearly some earthing issue, and probably down to me, never the less worrying.

hmmm... interesting, do you think this could be solved by using glue, so that the USB connector isn't making any contact with the metal enclosure?
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby chrishopf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:33 pm

How did you mount the screws on the inside of you enclosure (for the display and buttons), was it done by welding or also with expoxy or another glue?

Yes, epoxy glue (UHU Endfest 300, 24h-epoxy) is my best recommendation for such problems. In former times I built RC-model-planes and the experience with epoxy-glue is Quote good.

If you having electrical contact to the metal or not, it does not matter. There is usually no contact between the USB connector case and the USB pins themselves. Also the case should not be connected to ground or earth-potential, there is no legal regulation to be fulfilled. If the voltage is over 60V you have to guarantee certain distances between the tracks and the case.

chrishopf
chrishopf

Postby oskar » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:37 am

chrishopf wrote:
Yes, epoxy glue (UHU Endfest 300, 24h-epoxy) is my best recommendation for such problems. In former times I built RC-model-planes and the experience with epoxy-glue is Quote good.
chrishopf

I ordered this UHU endfest plus 300 (2-k-epoxidkleber) at the local model builders shop for 8 euro's. I used it to glue the heads of some screws on to the inside of the frontplate, for LCD-mounting, and the button PCB, FANTASTIC. Simultaneously used extra glue for the USB connector also to close the gaps between the connector and front plate. According to the product description it should be hard within 12 hours. But I think it's still the best to wait 24 hours as you also descriped.
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby airflamesred » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Yes I don't think there should be a problem with using metal screws, and it turns out that after I connected all 42 pads two of the pads appeared to have crosstalk. By turning the thresholds up to a ridiculous amount it turned out that one of the jack sockets had spun and caught the solder tag below. Problem solved, though I forgot to check on the earthing issue.
UHU could well be the answer.
I'm stuck with some aging proteus units so the earthing issue maybe with them.
Looks good Oskar.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware