My Megadrum project.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

My Megadrum project.

Postby ametalguitarist » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:31 am

I recently bought a 56 input full kit. This is some of the progress of it and some questions I was hoping to get some help on.
Here is my front face panel design.

and here is the rear panel

If the design is not satisfactory to the Megadrum project I'll gladly change it. I went with red and black because that's the proposed color scheme I was going for so the blue and white MD logo didn't fit that.

Here is the front panel cut out and ready for assembly.

This leads to my first set of questions:
The usb jack doesn't sit securely how would I go about making that secure? The midi ports don't work unless I cut the wires on one of them how do those mount? do the chrome rings come off or should I just cut the wires on one of the jacks to be able to mount?

This is the enclosure I got for the megadrum. I've actually seen someone else use this model before and there is a problem with the standoffs.

Here is a mock up of the install and you can see the electrical tape over the wires of one of the jacks because I couldn't get it to go in any other way.

Here is another problem with the standoffs. They don't fit the pcb board and they aren't threaded.

I've never done anything like this before. Do I just buy standard standoffs and forcibly screw them in to these making my own threads? And what about the sections where there are no holes? I don't really want screws coming from the bottom of the enclosure but if it's gotta be that way oh well, but I'd rather not.
Also I noticed that the way the cable lengths are for the screen and the controls is that the screen would have to be on the right hand side which when I put my hand on the controls I can't see the screen. I 'll have to mount the pcb board on the lid so it's upside down in order for my preferred layout to work. Is there any problems with having the board upside down?

I know these sound like dumb questions but please bear with me.
ametalguitarist

Re: My Megadrum project.

Postby dmitri » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:54 pm

ametalguitarist wrote:
The midi ports don't work unless I cut the wires on one of them how do those mount? do the chrome rings come off or should I just cut the wires on one of the jacks to be able to mount?

You can unsolder one of the MIDI jacks, install both jacks and then solder the jack again. Or you can simply mount the jacks from the back of the panels.

Here is another problem with the standoffs. They don't fit the pcb board and they aren't threaded.
I've never done anything like this before. Do I just buy standard standoffs and forcibly screw them in to these making my own threads? And what about the sections where there are no holes? I don't really want screws coming from the bottom of the enclosure but if it's gotta be that way oh well, but I'd rather not.

I make standoffs with plastic tubing and the screws come from the bottom. These screws are countersunk so are flat with surface so I don't see a problem with it.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ametalguitarist » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:54 pm

So are you good with the graphic design and any ideas about the usb jack? thanks
ametalguitarist

Postby dmitri » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:26 pm

ametalguitarist wrote:So are you good with the graphic design and any ideas about the usb jack? thanks

The design is really up to you. For the USB jack - you chose the panel design and cutouts so I guess you knew how were going to attach everything it, including the USB jack.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby angr77 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:37 am

Design....there are a lot of different designs out there for the Megadrum. Seen mine?

http://powerhell.wordpress.com/about/zo ... ans-td-20/

I have posted both front and a rear artwork i pdf file format.

Anders
Sonor, Drum-Tec heads, Roland CY14, CY12&15R, 2x BT-1 & VH11, 12, 13, Triggera D11, 2xD14, Pintech Dingbat, Letric Moo, Quartz triggers, 2xARM based MegaDRUM, PS Board, M-Audio FT Ultra 8R, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, Surface Pro 5 http://zourman.com
angr77

Postby oskar » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:09 pm

I saw some affordable enclosures on a German site. As far as most stapled jacks are concerned in the project with a 19" enclosure a height of 1U should do fine as I understood. http://www.banzaimusic.com/Enclosures-Boxes/
Last edited by oskar on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby chrishopf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:18 pm

A 1HE 19" rack works, but it is a little bit tricky with the backpanel if you use stacked jacks. You have to saw a cutout in the bootom and top panel where ist is bent to overlap the backpanel. I just have no photo available now, but if you need, i will take one.
I am currently write this in my iPhone and i reckognized, that copy and paste of photos does not work. On the PC with the next post i will send the photos of my megadrum in a 1HE 19" case.
chrishopf

Postby airflamesred » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:05 pm

I managed to squeeze 42 mono jacks onto a 2U case. The midi sockets I just rewired after fitting and the USB was just a matter of plugging a cable and trapping it in a slot when putting the case together.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby chrishopf » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 pm

i Took some photos
front panel:
megadrum front klein.jpg

megadrum front detail klein.jpg

backplate:
megadrum back klein.jpg

megadrum back detail 1 klein.jpg

next attatchment in the following post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrishopf

Postby chrishopf » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:21 pm

continued last post.
second detail of the backplate:
megadrum back detail 2 klein.jpg

Top view:
megadrtum top view klein.jpg

And that what i called tricky, you have to cut out the top of the case to get space for the stacked jacks:
megadrum cutout klein.jpg

If you see, its possible sqeeze the stackse jacks in an 1u 19" case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrishopf

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware