My Megadrum project.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: My Megadrum project.

Postby oskar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:08 pm

chrishopf wrote:A 1HE 19" rack works, but it is a little bit tricky with the backpanel if you use stacked jacks. You have to saw a cutout in the bootom and top panel where ist is bent to overlap the backpanel. I just have no photo available now, but if you need, i will take one.
I am currently write this in my iPhone and i reckognized, that copy and paste of photos does not work. On the PC with the next post i will send the photos of my megadrum in a 1HE 19" case.

Thanks for sharing Chrishopf, this was a decision making contribution for me (not ordering the stacked jacks). Quering the internet I saw that a shop mentioning at 1 specific type of stacked jacks that they would fit in a 1U, maybe for the reasons you just mentioned.
You've made a very nice device, the buttons at the front are fantastic :idea: . After seeing and reading your posts I will use (already ordered) single jacks and maybe build it up like the one Dmitri shows http://www.megadrum.info/content/i-can-build-it-you and maybe move the usb and midi to the front. Althought your stacked version looks better. Wondering if your design will fit with single jacks. I don't want a 2U and I've never seen a 1.xU height. Maybe I will have to build my own 1.3U ;) . I will share the results on this forum.

Update 30 Sep 2012:
I got a 19 inch 1U or 1HE (34 Euro 3kg).
Front will contain, from left to right; 9 input jacks (1-9 for the basic kit) with a switch between jack 1 and 2 for the impedance selection of jack 1 (pedal), then the LCD, the rotary and push buttons, power switch, USB connection with LED on top and midi in/out connections. On the back I'll build single input jacks 10-29. The 9 and 25 pin connector will be situated at the right site of the enclosure. I still had to make a small notch for both push buttons and LED on the front mounting flaps of the bottom and top parts of the enclosure.
Each centre of the input jacks is seperated by 2 cm exact. (cheapest closed stereo jacks from Conrad, suitable for all kinds of mounting).
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby oskar » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 am

airflamesred wrote:I managed to squeeze 42 mono jacks onto a 2U case. The midi sockets I just rewired after fitting and the USB was just a matter of plugging a cable and trapping it in a slot when putting the case together.

Did you publish any pictures of your device yet?

Cheers Oskar
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby airflamesred » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:15 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1955
I think I got it down to 20mm centres.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby oskar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 pm

airflamesred wrote:http://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1955
I think I got it down to 20mm centres.

Still one question keeps coming up. "Why didn't we choose to build a megadrum with mini jacks?". :?
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby airflamesred » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Well as you rightly point out, 'lessons to be learnt'. I hadn't considered the 3.5 jacks, good point. Fortunately they did fit or I would have gone with a 3U box. My only regret is now that I have to buy 4 jack looms where, on reflection, I could have used some sort of multi cable.
Ultimately I have the kit I wanted for about £1100. Needless to say Roland couldn't compete.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby oskar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 am

airflamesred wrote:I hadn't considered the 3.5 jacks,

Maybe one problem remains I hadn't thought of, if we use 3.5 jacks but the plugs from te kit are 6.3, and you use adapters on the MD 3.5 male to female 6.3 adapters, will the 6.3 plugs be in eachothers way?
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby oskar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am

Here is my 19" 1u enclosure, and yes I had to make some cut outs on the top and bottom 'flaps' for the LED, LCD, midi connections and up/down buttons to fit. It's a shame that the jack inputs are not in line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby oskar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 am

ametalguitarist wrote:So are you good with the graphic design and any ideas about the usb jack? thanks

I faced the same problem. I solved it by making a small PCB for the usb port (just drawing with a permanent marker) made space and drilled a hole in it for a self glewing plastic standoff. Because the USB is mounted through the front plate it's kept in place. The opening for the USB in the front plate is directed by the height of the standoff.

I am also curious how others solved this problem because I could only find (affordable) USB connectors for PCB mounting and without making adjustments for the frontplate (ugly screws etc)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oskar Hendriks (NL)
oskar

Postby Maylord.war » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Good work ;)
Maylord.war

Postby chrishopf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm

I am also curious how others solved this problem because I could only find (affordable) USB connectors for PCB mounting and without making adjustments for the frontplate (ugly screws etc)

I glued the connector in the prepared rectangular hole with epoxy glue. Then I soldered the cables directly to the pins.

My project is slowly going on. It takes a long time priming and grinding the shells. But now the first layer of blue Diamond effect paint was done. At the test object three layers are necessary to get an evenly covering. To get a super-glossy surface I will Spray 5-6 layers of clear laquer on the shells. But in this season ist is not easy to get good weather for painting outdoor. Perhaps tomorrow I will do another layer.

chrishopf
chrishopf

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware