fd-8 footcontroller inconsistent

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

fd-8 footcontroller inconsistent

Postby talrusher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:31 pm

hi,

have the problem, that the fd-8 footcontroller from roland is very inconsistent. the cc messages dont stay still, they allways jumping in bettween full closed an full opened positoins. for example have the pedal exact in the middle and dont move it anymore, but the cc messeges are jumping from 80-90 : 81, 83, 81, 83, 89, 82, 89, 82....
the open hihats sounds crappy because of changing positions too many times in a second... sometimes my computer even gets slowed down, because has to play too many samples...
reducing cc messeges i have tried too, but after that, dont get the whole range, if i move the pedal too slow up and down and sometimes if i move it too fast...

for now, my settings are low and hi lvl: 50 - 150 ... have tried altin. it works but the same way. cc messeges are jumping and dont stay still between full closed and opened position. in some positions the pedal works acceptable and in some absolute bad.

is there a way to stop the jumping cc notes? maybe with a resistor or something? the controller is tested and absolute ok. tried it on my trigger io.
thx
Last edited by talrusher on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here I stand in the falling rain
There is no joy inside these tears
I see the world through a twisted and bitter stare
To be where I have been... to see what I have seen
Is it a dream?
Or can I believe...
The memories will haunt me for evermore
talrusher

Re: fd-8 footcontroller inconsistent

Postby dmitri » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:23 pm

talrusher wrote:ah... reduce cc messeges i have tried too, but after that, dont get the whole range, if i move the pedal too slow up and down and sometimes if i move it too fast...

So when you set "CC RdcLvl" to 1 you don't get a full range of CC messages, do you?
Can you you make two videos showing "Raw MIDI" in "MIDI Log" when
1. pressing and then releasing the pedal slowly
2. pressing and then releasing the pedal fast
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby talrusher » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:20 am

i will try it ...
Is it a dream?
Or can I believe...
talrusher

Postby talrusher » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 am

here is one video... you can easily see, how inconsistent the low cc messages are. lvl reduce is set to 1 and alternate input is on.

the range is good too... but not complete and it feel a llittle bit strange and poor if you play the footcontroller...

i make a second video with alternate input off... the consistency is a litte better i think, but on this input the range is absolute crappy...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=ef315770276a6635&resid=EF315770276A6635!5324&parid=EF315770276A6635!5297
Is it a dream?
Or can I believe...
talrusher

Postby dmitri » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:23 pm

I'll have a look at the 'CC MIDI messages reduction level' algorithm to see what can be done to improve it.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby angr77 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm

talrasher - did your problems in Windows 7 - 64 bit go away?

(Just a tip on the case above...I have a FD-8 (rarely used...) which I have been using at home towards a TD-6 module. During the last 3 years..I have been forced to tear it apart and clean it because of that the mecanics was quite full of dust....giving problems in the TD-6 module. Of course, I have not been testing it in my MegaDrum environment...yet...so I wont be able to tell if there is a real problem...Just a tip!)
Sonor, Drum-Tec heads, Roland CY14, CY12&15R, 2x BT-1 & VH11, 12, 13, Triggera D11, 2xD14, Pintech Dingbat, Letric Moo, Quartz triggers, 2xARM based MegaDRUM, PS Board, M-Audio FT Ultra 8R, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, Surface Pro 5 http://zourman.com
angr77

Postby daniele99 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:05 pm

talrusher wrote:is there a way to stop the jumping cc notes? maybe with a resistor or something? the controller is tested and absolute ok. tried it on my trigger io.
thx

Have you added a resistor to the hihat control input? I don't remember the value, something about 5k. There's a thread about FD8 compatibility. search "Hi Hat Control Jack".
What vst are you using? To avoid to ear a hat note at all minimum cc variations you have to disangage open/close morphing features in some vsts like superior drummer. (not in AD drums)
Daniele99
DIY edrum kit, Yamaha PCY135, PCY155, Millenium/Alesis 1zone cymbals,Roland FD-8,Roland SPD-S
daniele99

Postby talrusher » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 pm

daniele99 wrote:
talrusher wrote:is there a way to stop the jumping cc notes? maybe with a resistor or something? the controller is tested and absolute ok. tried it on my trigger io.
thx

Have you added a resistor to the hihat control input? I don't remember the value, something about 5k. There's a thread about FD8 compatibility. search "Hi Hat Control Jack".
What vst are you using? To avoid to ear a hat note at all minimum cc variations you have to disangage open/close morphing features in some vsts like superior drummer. (not in AD drums)

searched and found the topic... but dont found anything abut which resistor put in...

i will try to put a 10k resistor in the footpedal. maybe it works...

after this i have to set alternate input on, right?
Is it a dream?
Or can I believe...
talrusher

Postby talrusher » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:38 pm

löl...

opened the footcontroller and see thats nothing in there... only a stip, that is probably the resistor.... and ive paid 70€ for it... or even more...
Is it a dream?
Or can I believe...
talrusher

Postby angr77 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13 am

:D Simple things is the best!

What about your problems in W7 x64? Solved?
Sonor, Drum-Tec heads, Roland CY14, CY12&15R, 2x BT-1 & VH11, 12, 13, Triggera D11, 2xD14, Pintech Dingbat, Letric Moo, Quartz triggers, 2xARM based MegaDRUM, PS Board, M-Audio FT Ultra 8R, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, Surface Pro 5 http://zourman.com
angr77

Next

Return to MegaDrum Hardware