Finger Drum

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Finger Drum

Postby brice » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:36 pm

same issue here, I need to be able to use 61 piezos
brice

Postby RayF » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:52 pm

Someone brought that idea up on another discussion board. I didn't get details, but I'm assuming you pull it all apart and use the guts beneath the keys and housing??

You can't do anything fast on spring loaded keys.
RayF

Postby sumpm1 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Why do you need THAT many triggers. That is a ton of triggers.
sumpm1

Postby RayF » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 pm

I have a large acoustic drum set. To get an adequate amount of sounds to work with simulating drums, cymbals, sound effects, and ethnic/exotic percussion, will require that many triggers.

I realize one can swiftly shift back and forth between stored user set ups on the modules. Regardless, I try to musically employ a lot of stuff, both for the music, soloing, and just my own enjoyment of the instruments.
RayF

Postby Bluebass » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 am

RayF,
Per your question a few days ago - foam is 0.75 inch charcoal colored polyethylene packing foam. It comes in sheets of 2'X3" or even larger. It's made by Dow Chemical, but I got it from Rogers Foam which is an industrial supplier of...foam.
Hope that helps. I'll try to get some diagrams of the construction of the finger drums for you and smpm1.

Peace
Bluebass

Postby krchnakp » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Hello everybody,
what do You think about this concept?
drummer1_small.jpg

drummer2_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krchnakp

Postby Pete Predictable » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 am

krchnakp wrote:Hello everybody,
what do You think about this concept?

Makes me lactate :lol:
Pete Predictable

Postby krchnakp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:41 pm

pf2010.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krchnakp

Postby chvojka » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Rayf
I thought about your point before as well until I heard it explained like this. The zen drum is like a different instrument with drum sounds and so must be approached differently. That is why I am building one, to have a different instrument. I am also building a ekit for regular drumming. Even the inventors of the zendrum said you cannot play it like a drumkit it makes you play and think dirrerently which for sime people is the allure. At least that's my thoughts.
chvojka

Postby Effraktor » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:07 pm

It's definately completely different from drumming, but then in some ways i don't want it to be completely different.

So I came up with the idea for a foot pad for the bass drum trigger because the hardest thing I found was trying to keep different beats going with different fingers on the same hand (not that it isn't possible with practice, but I want to start gigging with it as soon as possible)

I think it will open it up to being more like playing a drum kit, while keeping all the other benefits.

Eg, I've been testing the piezo triggers with some synth programmes, while I can't get sustained notes it works to trigger a velocity sensitive hit, so i'm going to have some of the pads setup in the layout of a keyboard as well as a bunch of triggers just for random percussion and sound effects.

Making it so much more than a drum kit, and also so much easier to lug around to gigs :P
Effraktor

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware