Updating firmware with protected bootloader.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Updating firmware with protected bootloader.

Postby Firelord » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:38 am

MCT is now updated and available from http://www.megadrum.info/configtool/

Fixed some minor bugs (featuring the missing 'Max' curve) and created a Java Web Start based installer (just like on the /configtool subsite). Since I don't have access to that subsite I host it on http://www.firelords.net.

Click to install: install.jnlp

It is absolutely safe to remove the above version that I posted in a ZIP archive. Also, whenever the distribution files are changed updates are automatically downloaded and applied.
Last edited by Firelord on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Firelord

Postby Firelord » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Also, I just now realized that I had been updating MCT from SVN version 1.82 (1.83 is still not available for checkout). Thus there is no 'Inputs priority' option nor any interface fixes in version 1.84b.

Here is the source code for version 1.84b (also contains NetBeans 6.9 project files etc): http://www.firelords.net/mct/src/mct_1.84b.zip
Firelord

Postby kenben » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:24 pm

i am a bit confused about how the encrypted firmware works. Having an encrypted firmware means all the previous versions of the firmware posted on this site is completely useless? There is no way to build a MD or atleast make it functional without ordering the encrypted atmega? Also, what about the PIC for the bootloader? is the bootloader also protected?

i think i read about it a while,Sorry, i am unable to find that specific topic for some reason

thanks
kenben

Postby dmitri » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:41 pm

kenben wrote:i am a bit confused about how the encrypted firmware works. Having an encrypted firmware means all the previous versions of the firmware posted on this site is completely useless?

Read it a few times but still didn't get what you meant.

There is no way to build a MD or atleast make it functional without ordering the encrypted atmega?

You can use the last unencrypted MegaDrum firmware.

Also, what about the PIC for the bootloader? is the bootloader also protected?

USB firmware for PIC has not changed and is not encrypted.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby kenben » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:56 pm

dmitri wrote:
kenben wrote:i am a bit confused about how the encrypted firmware works. Having an encrypted firmware means all the previous versions of the firmware posted on this site is completely useless?

Read it a few times but still didn't get what you meant.

sorry...actually i dont really understand the encryption stuff myself..lol.. i guess what i m asking is that will be having any problems if i try to build MD using the non-encrypted atmega? i read somewhere that the only disadvantage to using the non-encrypted old version firmware is that i will have to use the programming cable every time for any updates? are there are more disadvantages? Would the programming procedure change? i hope it makes sense

thanks
kenben

Postby dmitri » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:07 pm

You need to read this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1251
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby kenben » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:10 pm

alright...thanks..i will check it out
kenben

Postby Ken Forgettable » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:03 pm

Maybe we should add mass storage descriptors to the PIC for multi-platform drag and drop.
Also, if memory serves; the AVR has the SPI pins free ???
Ken Forgettable

Postby jjpl2001 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi dimitri, Ive been stuck for a few years with the microchip MCUs and I have the admir edrum, the process to load the firmware into the MCU is: I plug the PIC in the serial programmer, I open de firmware an next I hit program. 3 Steps

Ive seen that the megadrum is a little diferent, isnt it?

Can I follow the same procedure as the 16f877? or Do I need the boot loader first?
Can I load the bootloader into the chip with an AVR serial programer? or do I need another procedure?

and at last (and excuse me for the extention) Can I use the module atmega32, 32 inputs with a USB to Serial converter (ft232 based converter). Thank and thaks for the job done with your module.
jjpl2001

Postby dmitri » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 pm

I think all of these is answered in https://www.megadrum.info/~megadrum/con ... d-megadrum
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware