Updating firmware with protected bootloader.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Updating firmware with protected bootloader.

Postby drumdhiver » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Hello,
I've just got to receive my ARM megadrum module from Dimitri,
I've the 20121216 megadrum version, the 20121202 drum manager version

I don't know if megadrum manager work properly, if I tap a sesor, I have some blue or green bar appearing, but in the box firmware, I have [???????]

is I have the latest megadrum version ? How to enter in bootloader mode, I really didn't understand, with the megadrum module, I just can set it ON/OFF, how th get :

88886> ater 16MHz
StartUpdateOnPC

on the lcd screen?

I ve read about the controls on front, I have a swith 3 position on the right side, is it really this function ? : "High/Low HiHat impedance selection. Default is Low (Up position) with AltIn in settings set to No." from this page : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1392

Thanks for your answer, I m sorry, I m almost starting to zero (oh, i managed to use addictivedrums, with megadrum)
drumdhiver

Postby dmitri » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:40 pm

drumdhiver wrote:Hello,
I've the 20121216 megadrum version.

You have the latest firmware version in your MegaDrum so you should not update it.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:41 pm

drumdhiver wrote:I ve read about the controls on front, I have a swith 3 position on the right side, is it really this function ? : "High/Low HiHat impedance selection. Default is Low (Up position) with AltIn in settings set to No." from this page : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1392

Yes, it is this function.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby drumdhiver » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks for answer Dimitri,

For me, for the future about updating firmware, how I could to? there is no update mode (ho, "bootloader mode") with my module... ?!
drumdhiver

Postby dmitri » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 pm

This is from the instruction in the first post:

dmitri wrote:3. Power MegaDrum up while holding the key LEFT pressed. If you connect over USB and it is the first time you connect your MegaDrum to your PC, let Windows install drivers. While keeping the key LEFT pressed the MIDI LED will be blinking indicating that it is entering the bootloader mode. When you release the key LEFT the LCD will show:
Code: Select all
FwSUpdater 16MHz
DOWN-ok.UP-clock

The only difference with your ARM based MegaDrums is that you will see:
Code: Select all
FwSUpdaterSTM32b
StartUpdateOnPC
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby drumdhiver » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:24 am

For the windows automatic installing driver, that's ok.

I really don't understand "while keeping the left key pressed [...] it will entering the bootloader mode"

what do you want to say about "left key"??? the switch 3 position on the left side of the megadrum?,

switch on the bottom : nothing happen (megadrum seems to be off), switch on the middle : nothing happen (megadrum seems to be off), switch on the top : megadrum on, I see the vu meter's bar... that's all
drumdhiver

Postby angr77 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:46 am

The left button is refering to when pressing the left rotary encoder. This will bring you in to the boot loader mode for future fw updates. Hold the left button...when switching the MD "on" with the power switch.

Anders
Sonor, Drum-Tec heads, Roland CY14, CY12&15R, 2x BT-1 & VH11, 12, 13, Triggera D11, 2xD14, Pintech Dingbat, Letric Moo, Quartz triggers, 2xARM based MegaDRUM, PS Board, M-Audio FT Ultra 8R, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, Surface Pro 5 http://zourman.com
angr77

Postby drumdhiver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh ok!!!! i've just seen that this rotary can be push!
Thank you!
drumdhiver

Postby dmitri » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 pm

To the owners of the ARM based MegaDrums:
A provision for pure software upgrade procedure is already there in the bootloader and MegaDrum firmware, i.e. in near future it won't require pressing any buttons or power cycling - I just need to add support for this in MDM and mdfwupdate. The firmware upgrade option using the LEFT button is left there as a rescue option in case of MegaDrum fimrware corruption (due to interrupted upgrade process or for any other reason).
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:02 am

dmitri wrote:To the owners of the ARM based MegaDrums:
A provision for pure software upgrade procedure is already there in the bootloader and MegaDrum firmware, i.e. in near future it won't require pressing any buttons or power cycling - I just need to add support for this in MDM and mdfwupdate. The firmware upgrade option using the LEFT button is left there as a rescue option in case of MegaDrum fimrware corruption (due to interrupted upgrade process or for any other reason).

I've just released a new MDM version which supports upgrading ARM based MegaDrum without requiring pressing any buttons. You already have to have a firmware version 20130121 (or newer) which is a latest version as of this moment so you still have to load this latest version the old way.
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware