Updating firmware with protected bootloader.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Updating firmware with protected bootloader.

Postby Daiz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Yes, i see, i have sorted that now, here is new output.

i Switch megadrum on holding left button in so it goes into bootloader mode, select 20 htz frequency and run the windowmdfwupdate.exe megadrum644_20111213.bin windows asks me if i want to allow it to make changes i click yes, nothing happens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daiz

Postby dmitri » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 pm

1. You enter 'mdfwupdate.exe megadrum644_20111213.bin' in the command line but where is megadrum644_20111213.bin in this directory?
2. Make two screenshots: one when you run mdfwupdate.exe on it's own without parameters capturing the window which "asks me if i want to allow it to make changes" then another screenshot of the window with the output after running mdfwupdate.exe
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Daiz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:25 am

dmitri wrote:1. You enter 'mdfwupdate.exe megadrum644_20111213.bin' in the command line but where is megadrum644_20111213.bin in this directory?
2. Make two screenshots: one when you run mdfwupdate.exe on it's own without parameters capturing the window which "asks me if i want to allow it to make changes" then another screenshot of the window with the output after running mdfwupdate.exe

I see the mistake I have made, I'm struggling to keep up with all this tbh, I'm not even that great on computers, so please bear with me, I'm trying my best.
The window which asks me if I want to allow to make changes is just the user account control on win 7, when this comes up for some reason it will not allow to take a screenshot of it or the command prompt that flashes up for a second. I think this screen that flashes up for a second is the 2nd screenshot you want also.
Daiz

Postby dmitri » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:26 pm

If you cannot grab a screenshot, make a video so that I could see what you do and what happens. In essence you're doing something wrong and I'm trying to see what it is.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Daiz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:04 pm

In the vid the display is hard to see but after i turn it on and adjust the frequency it is set to the "fwspdater 20 mh start update on pc"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX6RvxWJ ... e=youtu.be

the display remains unaltered throughout on the megadrum
Daiz

Postby dmitri » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:27 pm

I've never seen this myself but it looks like the security settings in your Windows prevent mdfwupdate.exe from running normally. I guess it is called User Account Control (UAC) (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient= ... nt+control). Try this:

1. If your user account doesn't have Administrator rights, try to switch to a user with Administrator rights and run the command as this user.
2. If the above doesn't help, see this: http://www.windows-commandline.com/2011 ... ntrol.html, disable UAC (with a reboot) and then run the command.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Daiz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:46 am

I've had a nightmare in the recent past with user account issues. It's my pc, I'm the only person on it with admin rights, and a vst in ableton wouldn't delete, said I didn't have rights etc, long story short I had to do full reformat of o.s. Now everything running smooth in that regard, I am running a lot of different programmes like ableton, sony vegas etc fine. So, I disabled the uac via control panel and through command prompt, and rebooted, this is the output. When trying through megadrum manager I get crc error, file damaged? message. The message when tried through mdu says invalid checksum received, file is damaged. When try to start the mdfwupdate on it's own it just does the quick flash thing I showed you, when I ask windows if there is compatibility issue, it suggest running xp service pack 2 mode, which when applied makes no difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daiz

Postby dmitri » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:28 am

You didn't enter firmware filename correctly.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Daiz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:16 am

ok, success, moving on it now asks for the midi ports, and when selected seems just to stick on transferring 0%
Daiz

Postby dmitri » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Much better now.

1. I cannot see what MIDI Out port you selected
2. I don't know what you did on the MegaDrum, i.e. what frequency you selected and if you actually pressed Down key.
3. I don't know if you have Atmega644 or Atmega1284 in your MegaDrum.
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware