Updating firmware with protected bootloader.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Updating firmware with protected bootloader.

Postby dmitri » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Make sure no other MIDI apps are running at the time of the firmware update. Many MIDI apps by default open all available MIDI ports and it will interfere with the firmware upgrade.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ErikM » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:08 am

dmitri wrote:Make sure no other MIDI apps are running at the time of the firmware update. Many MIDI apps by default open all available MIDI ports and it will interfere with the firmware upgrade.

Maybe that helped. Confused by the "MIDI Output" and "input" language. Choosing USB and NOT the MIDI in/out both times seemed to work.

I had to use the cmd line as FX still failed to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
youtube
Hopefully some MegaDrum vids to follow.

MegaDrum 32 (ARM STM32F205RTC6, FW 20200331), Ableton Live Suite 10 w/ no drum VST, Roland and Trigerra Intrigg acoustic conversion Frankenstein set
ErikM

Postby ErikM » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:58 am

ibanman555 wrote:Hopefully it was a fluke. I've had to try a few times before, but I would recommend connecting to Manager first, and select Get All. This will sync Manager with MegaDrum to and the text should be black, not blue like on your screenshot. If Manager is synced, and you have green lights in Manager, you should be able to update the firmware....

Thanks. I tried "get all" and text was black, but FX didn't work, but thankfully command line did.
youtube
Hopefully some MegaDrum vids to follow.

MegaDrum 32 (ARM STM32F205RTC6, FW 20200331), Ableton Live Suite 10 w/ no drum VST, Roland and Trigerra Intrigg acoustic conversion Frankenstein set
ErikM

Postby vishwaskar6 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:11 pm

i am a bit confused about how the encrypted firmware works. Having an encrypted firmware means all the previous versions of the firmware posted on this site is completely useless? There is no way to build a MD or atleast make it functional without ordering the encrypted atmega? Also, what about the PIC for the bootloader? is the bootloader also protected? mobdro
Last edited by vishwaskar6 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
vishwaskar6

Postby dmitri » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:34 pm

You can use firmware unencrypted firmware (before June 2010) but you can configure it only via front panel menu.
PIC firmware is not encrypted and without bootloader.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby jungleb » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:50 pm

Hi I guess something went wrong updating my Megadrum 56.

I am a windows 10 user and I guess my Megadrum was with the original firmware from when I bought it in 2020. I was working perffectly with an older firmware.

I went throught the Main Menu, Update FW and donloaded the latest drivers. I selected megadrumSTM32d_56_20230605.bin and proceeded. The bar filled until the end and a positive message was showm (dont remember which one exactly).

After this I could not connect to it. Windows still recognizes it as a MIDI device but MDMFx does not Open MIDI, it says Sysex: Working and nothing happens.

Would you help me to troubleshoot this?
Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jungleb

Postby dmitri » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:13 pm

1. It is likely you have "AutoLoad Conf" enabled and the old config is not compatible with the new firmware causing it to misbehave. If this is the case, as per https://www.megadrum.info/content/confi ... -and-hints , start with a default config by powering up MegaDrum while holding the button RIGHT pressed.

2. If it desn't resolve the problem then the firmware possibly was corrupted during the upgrade. In that case reload the firmware following the steps from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1252#p14779 exactly.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby jungleb » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:42 pm

dmitri wrote:1. It is likely you have "AutoLoad Conf" enabled and the old config is not compatible with the new firmware causing it to misbehave. If this is the case, as per https://www.megadrum.info/content/confi ... -and-hints , start with a default config by powering up MegaDrum while holding the button RIGHT pressed.

2. If it desn't resolve the problem then the firmware possibly was corrupted during the upgrade. In that case reload the firmware following the steps from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1252#p14779 exactly.

The second procedure solved my issue. Thank you
jungleb

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware