Future firmware versions.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Future firmware versions.

Postby rockdude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:51 pm

albano wrote:Hello everybody

I have a suggestion that i´m not sure that could work (since I haven´t even build or buy my own megadrum yet, I´m probably missing something), the problem is that when a firmware version is hosted in the forum, anybody can download it, now wouldn´t be possible that every owner or diyer who have bought/build a megadrum and are registered in this forum send dmitri his e mail, so when a new firmware comes up, dmitri just send the new firmware version (not encrypted) to all the members that previously gave him their e mails. I don´t know if that helps, I hope you can find a solution to this problem (sorry for my english :oops: )

Good luck

The solution is the encrypted firmware. If he would email non encrypted firmware files it would be a walk in the park for the guy who made and sold MegaDrums without Dmitris permission to continue doing so. It only takes one seeder to make it possible. In the end I think Dmitri made the right choice.
rockdude

Postby Firelord » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 pm

rockdude wrote:The solution is the encrypted firmware. If he would email non encrypted firmware files it would be a walk in the park for the guy who made and sold MegaDrums without Dmitris permission to continue doing so. It only takes one seeder to make it possible. In the end I think Dmitri made the right choice.

Indeed.
Firelord

Postby albano » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:19 pm

rockdude wrote:
albano wrote:Hello everybody

I have a suggestion that i´m not sure that could work (since I haven´t even build or buy my own megadrum yet, I´m probably missing something), the problem is that when a firmware version is hosted in the forum, anybody can download it, now wouldn´t be possible that every owner or diyer who have bought/build a megadrum and are registered in this forum send dmitri his e mail, so when a new firmware comes up, dmitri just send the new firmware version (not encrypted) to all the members that previously gave him their e mails. I don´t know if that helps, I hope you can find a solution to this problem (sorry for my english :oops: )

Good luck

The solution is the encrypted firmware. If he would email non encrypted firmware files it would be a walk in the park for the guy who made and sold MegaDrums without Dmitris permission to continue doing so. It only takes one seeder to make it possible. In the end I think Dmitri made the right choice.

You´re right, I knew I was missing something.
albano

Postby kimouette » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:32 am

I'll send you the chip right after my vacations. Could you please confirm the total price (including shipping) for Switzerland (city : Savigny, zip code : 1073)?

But I have to say, I'm really scared of breaking one of the "little legs" of the chip!! When I put it into the socket I kind of folded one of the legs and was hoping to never have to touch it again!

But I completely understand your point, so I'll have to take that risk
kimouette

Postby dmitri » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:05 pm

kimouette wrote:I'll send you the chip right after my vacations. Could you please confirm the total price (including shipping) for Switzerland (city : Savigny, zip code : 1073)?

You can calculate it yourself using viewtopic.php?p=14875#p14875 as a guidance.

But I have to say, I'm really scared of breaking one of the "little legs" of the chip!! When I put it into the socket I kind of folded one of the legs and was hoping to never have to touch it again!

But I completely understand your point, so I'll have to take that risk

I'd rather not to deal with a chip if its' leg(s) about to come off.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Firelord » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:39 pm

kimouette wrote:But I completely understand your point, so I'll have to take that risk
And here's some encouragement :-) I hope your chip doesn't get damaged after all.
Firelord

Postby elrules » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:56 pm

I also think this is a bit dissapointing... (sigh)

I have a doubt about all of this. How does it help to encrypt the firmware? a random guy wanting to sell a MD could ask dmitri for a programmed MCU, and then build it and sell to another person. And do it more than one time with different names. Can somebody explain me this?

So, for having future updates, if I want to send you my 2 atmegas, can you PM me you address? the price would be 3-5pounds for handling, and 2 for sending, right? (i think the 5% only applies to people sending money for a purchase and not for a friendly sending of money)
elrules

Postby dmitri » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:50 am

elrules wrote:I have a doubt about all of this. How does it help to encrypt the firmware? a random guy wanting to sell a MD could ask dmitri for a programmed MCU, and then build it and sell to another person. And do it more than one time with different names. Can somebody explain me this?

It could have been a problem if there were thousands of requests from across the world where abnormal number of requests from a particular region could have been masked.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby elrules » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 am

dmitri wrote:
elrules wrote:I have a doubt about all of this. How does it help to encrypt the firmware? a random guy wanting to sell a MD could ask dmitri for a programmed MCU, and then build it and sell to another person. And do it more than one time with different names. Can somebody explain me this?

It could have been a problem if there were thousands of requests from across the world where abnormal number of requests from a particular region could have been masked.
Ok, so this is more a future-proof measure, cool :)
elrules

Postby kb9jlo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi, new here. :D Looking to DIY a trigger to MIDI interface. I like this design and I understand the need to encrypt the firmware. Good move I believe.
Can we just send you a chip (or two, one for spare) to program the boot-loader onto? Or do we need to purchase the chip from you (looks like about 25 GBP for US).

Neat stuff here. I'm very impressed. I used to play drums and with family, wife, kids, life I got rid of the drums and lost interest. My drums are in England somewhere (Ludwig Tivoli Gardens). Now that I'm older a few guys want to start up again. At this stage I'm not interested in dragging around conventional drums and I'm into computers, amateur radio and electronics anyway so it seems a good fit. I've already bought a bunch of piezos to make some drums with! Plus, I'm cheap! :lol:

Thanks. Let me know how to proceed.
kb9jlo

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware