Future firmware versions.

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Future firmware versions.

Postby Firelord » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:40 pm

linuxguy wrote:I may be missing something here... but 2 questions:

1. Once someone has a ATMega, programmed with the new Bootloader... couldn't they just copy that atmega to another atmega... and be able to load future firmwares on any Megadrum they put it in... therefore people could still steal your work??

2. Does this apply to the newer SMD version of Megadrum you spoke of sometime ago? Or is this even in development by anybody yet?

It's unfortuneate that third party software that has been made for the megadrum will no longer be able to do the update process, etc.

PS. I think it stinks that whoever did this was able to, and I do support the idea of Encryption, if it really works to protect your work Dimitri. I hope it does.

1. As far as I know it is not possible.

Third party software? Do you mean MCT? The latest version offers a method of updating with the new firmware files.
Firelord

Postby linuxguy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Firelord wrote:1. As far as I know it is not possible.
Third party software? Do you mean MCT? The latest version offers a method of updating with the new firmware files.

Okay then, didn't realize MCT was updated too... all good. If it truely can't be copied, then that is great. I'm glad Dimitri found a way to protect his intellectual property... I would want to do the same.
linuxguy

Postby Rub3n » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi dmitri,

Maybe this works:
Step1: User has to login in firmware update tool.
Step2: Update tool downloads and instals new firmware to chip. (the user cant reach the firmware).

This way you can limit the amount of updates 1 user can do (something like max 5 of the same updates for 1 accaunt).
You could also gif each downloaded dootloader a spesific id, so you now witch user is programming witch chip (but this is quite complicated)

If you want to program a lot of chips you have ta make a lot of accounts and have a lot of email-accounts
Rub3n

Postby dmitri » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Rub3n wrote:Maybe this works:

No, it won't work. The protected bootloader can be programmed only by me with my hands on the chip.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby paradoxj » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:45 am

Just a quick question for Dimitri:

Do you have any plans to make the Megadrum available semi-commercially? Specifically, I've built a trigger-pad device I'm currently using to control an Alesis DM5. It is currently Hardware only (i.e. triggers only, no active electronics). I'm thinking about dropping a Megadrum into it for better control, and to update to more than 12 channels.

For now, a Megadrum would work perfectly; however, I've had some interest in the instrument from others, and may want to sell a few of them in the future. If that was to happen, would you be all right with selling a few for profit? And if so, what would be your terms?

From reading the previous posts, it appears there may be a strong opposition to making this product commercially available, period. Is this the case?

Let me know. I don't want to step on any toes.
paradoxj

Postby Techbuilder » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:56 pm

dmitri wrote:Foreword: everything described below is triggered by a person selling MegaDrum for profit without my consent. See details in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1245

From now on all future MegaDrum firmware files will be published on the forum in encrypted format. These new firmware files can only be loaded with a new, protected, bootloader. To keep this new bootloader secure, it must be programmed into Atmega by me. This means that to be able to load new firmware versions you will need to get Atmega MCU from me. I have no intention of profiting from this so I'll try to make the process of getting Atmega with the protected bootloader as cheap as possible so that the cost of Atmega MCU still constitutes a small part of cost of building the whole MegaDrum module by a DIYer.

At the moment I'm still in the process of working out the best possible way of doing it. This is one of the suggestions:

1. You choose one of these MCU's:
http://uk.farnell.com/atmel/atmega32-16 ... dp/9171282
http://uk.farnell.com/atmel/atmega324p- ... dp/1455110
http://uk.farnell.com/atmel/atmega644p- ... dp/1455122
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Electron ... 86/73-5080
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Electron ... 86/73-5084

or find another place where I can buy them cheaper.
2. Add 4.95 pounds which Farnell/Rapid charges for delivery (if several persons ask for the MCU at the same time, the delivery cost can be spread or eliminated altogether).
3. Add 17.5% VAT.
4. Add cost of postage to you (I guess around 3-10). You are welcome to suggest to me the cheapest delivery method.
5. Add 3-5 pounds of handling fee (I still need some time to handle programming/testing/postage).
6. Add 5% for Paypal tax.
7. You send me the total amount over Paypal.
8. I buy the MCU, program it and send it to you.

I'm open to all other suggestions.

P.S. If you have a module which I've built for you and want to be able to load future firmware versions, please PM me to discuss the cheapest way of doing this.

This would cost me over 30 dollars since I live in USA
is there any other way?
and not to mention I already purchased my chip here for 5 dollars
Techbuilder

Postby dmitri » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:44 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1552
And right on the first page of this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1636
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Lukashenka741 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:30 pm

hi, Can I Build the older version without the protected bootoader? I don't want to risk and explode the MCU :D
because I've been trying to build Edrum for 3 times and it wont work... so I'm out of $ now...

oh, and Idea from me, you can build a bootloader program with password witch works only 1 time. and we have to buy password from you... I personaly think that something with software not touching the whole product or the parts in it... long process though...
Lukashenka741

Postby dmitri » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Lukashenka741 wrote:hi, Can I Build the older version without the protected bootoader? I don't want to risk and explode the MCU :D
because I've been trying to build Edrum for 3 times and it wont work... so I'm out of $ now...

MegaDrum FAQ. Read it before posting in this forum!
dmitri
Site Admin

TQFP MCU

Postby teq » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Is it possible to order MCU in TQFP package?
teq

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware