Rockdude discusses precision rectifiers and positional sens

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Rockdude discusses precision rectifiers and positional s

Postby airflamesred » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:21 am

Just to confirm, the red wire is no 1. You can get a pair of scissors and cut between the wires and then pull them away to separate them.
In other news, it's my birthday and am waiting for the postman to deliver a midi breath controller! Now, this is going to allow me to control sustain, on e drums.

ps. Sorry for the digression.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby angr77 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:00 am

Congrats!

Breath controller? :-) I had one to my Yamaha DX7 1985...:-)

Best Regards

ANGR77
Sonor, Drum-Tec heads, Roland CY14, CY12&15R, 2x BT-1 & VH11, 12, 13, Triggera D11, 2xD14, Pintech Dingbat, Letric Moo, Quartz triggers, 2xARM based MegaDRUM, PS Board, M-Audio FT Ultra 8R, Addictive Drums 2.1.6, Surface Pro 5 http://zourman.com
angr77

Postby rockdude » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:05 am

ignotus wrote:Yep sorry, I meant the 32 input connector... As for the exact wire, I can't be sure looking at that photo with the jacks - it's the ninth wire starting at the top if you were to look at the ribbon cable plugged into the MD main board as shown in the photo above. You're correct about how to connect everything once you have the right wire.

I think I have it located :) Here's a better picture where I've colored the 9th wire in blue:

Edit. Thanks airflamesred for confirming too.
Last edited by rockdude on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockdude

Postby ignotus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:12 am

Yep, that's the one.

Happy birthday airflamesred!
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby rockdude » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Components ordered! Now I'll just have to wait and prepare my megaDRUM for the surgical operation and prepare a nice place for the precision rectifier board in the megaDRUM-case :ugeek:
rockdude

Postby rockdude » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:33 pm

.....and four years later I tried making the precision rectifier :shock: Without success :(

I'm not sure what I've done wrong, but probably some components are put in the wrong direction or in the wrong place. I tried to do them like the schematic you drew by hand earlier in this thread Ignotus :)

This is how it looks when on my precision rectifier board (ugly as f.. I know):
Can anyone see anything that's obviously weird and wrong besides the ugly soldering and wiring by me?
rockdude

Postby rockdude » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:37 pm

When I connect the board to my MegaDrum the MegaDrum can't be seen as a midi device by my mac (I wonder why that happens when the precision rectifier is connected) and the display on MegaDrum looks like below with a maxed out input and the MegaDrum led light is constantly on. Can that be a clue to what might be wrong with my precision rectifier board? When I disconnect the precision rectifier my MegaDrum can be found by my computer again.

Here's how it looks when I've connected the precision rectifier board to my MegaDrum:
rockdude

Postby ignotus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:49 pm

I can't see it properly, but it looks like you might have reversed the polarity of the 1uF cap between 5v and gnd. The negative leg goes to ground and is marked on the cap with the vertical stripe.
ignotus

Postby rockdude » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:48 pm

ignotus wrote:I can't see it properly, but it looks like you might have reversed the polarity of the 1uF cap between 5v and gnd. The negative leg goes to ground and is marked on the cap with the vertical stripe.

You were right, I had reversed the polarity. I've put it in the right way now but it didn't make any difference. I should add that if I power up megadrum without the computer on, it starts as normal...but when I turn the computer on, the input gets maxed out and the led is on constantly.
Four years later and you reply like it was yesterday, much appreciated Ignotus, even though I haven't solved the problem yet 8-)
Do you see anything else on the board (maybe I need to take better photos)? Could it be an issue with the power and ground from the MegaDrum?
It's only the 1uF and the 1N4148 that I have to worry about which way they are positioned? Or are more of the components on the board sensitive to direction too?
rockdude

Postby ignotus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:21 pm

Sounds strange. Check that you haven't reversed vcc and gnd where you take them from the MD board. Other than that, the electrolytic cap and the diode, there's nothing else with polarity.

Haha, I checked in, saw your post and remembered I'd sent you that chip years ago... I'd rather it served a purpose than go to waste. Maybe someone else has an idea what could be wrong.
ignotus

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware